1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

??Question for Rollin Oswald??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jbmOU, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Jan 23, 2007
    Rollin, I know that you know a lot about what affects how stocks fit, so I figured you would be the best person to ask.

I recently switched my flat factory recoil pad to a gooey pad that is a little thicker, ever since I made the switch, my score have dropped. Everyone that I talk to says that a new recoil pad should not affect your shooting, but my shooting slump did not occur until after I had the pad switched, so the pad has to have something to do with it. How big of a factor is the recoil pad in how a gun fits? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Brillion, WI
    Assumption: The Gooey pad is shaped the same as the pad it replaced. The following information is based on considerable ignorance and I must do some guessing because I know little about how well your stock fits you and the shooting form that you use.

Depending on how well your gun fitted you with your old pad, it is possible that the new Gooey could, in some way, increase an effect caused by a poorly fitting stock dimension about which I know nothing.

The pad's being a "little thicker" could easily affect your scores, depending on the additional thickness. If it is 1/4" thicker for example, it would increase the distance between your nose and thumb by nearly an inch. (Don't ask why. It just would.)

To maintain the nose/thumb separation you had with your old pad, your head and neck positions (forward lean, etc.) would have to have changed. That could affect your scores as could an additional seperation of nearly an inch between your nose and your trigger-hand thumb if you maintained your old head and neck positions.

Something else that may have affected scores is the different surfaces on the two pads. Gooey pads are more difficult to mount because they more difficult wiggle into place following an imperfect mount once the pad makes contact with the shoulder.

One solution would be to reduce the length of the stock to equal the LOP of your old pad. Or, you cojuld lower the height of your gun mount. This is not usually a good idea but it would move your cheek forward on the comb. It will not work at all unless your gun has a parallel comb.

The new pad may be affecting your gun mount. Gooey pads require a more precise mount because it is very difficult to wiggle them into place following an imperfect mount. You might consider paying more attention to exactly where you mount your gun. Be vary careful to mount it exactly where you want it and do not try to wiggle it into place if it isn't quite right. Rather, dismount the gun and start over.

As to the causes of lower scores, I would place the additional length ahead of the possibility of inconsistent mounts as the most probable cause of your lower scores.

Again, I am limited by my ignorance of how well your gun fitted with the old pad and the shooting form your stock dimensions require you to use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.