1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for Remington experts

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by prairieviper, Aug 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

I have a 12 gauge Model 1187 that I use for sporting clays. Recently, during a field strip prior to cleaning, the action bar sleeve separated from the action bar without an intentional effort on my part. Normally, to separate these two parts would require a screwdriver or tool made for that purpose. I cannot see any broken or cracked parts or signs of unusual wear. I have continued to use the gun and it has functioned flawlessly but I am still concerned. I have emailed Remington about this and am awaiting a reply but I figured in the interim some of you Remington guys might be able to answer my question.

Should I just go on shooting and not worry about it until something breaks or not? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I remember a similar separation while I was cleaning my 11/87 Trap action bars in a pan of mineral spirits. After the cleaning was complete, I put the two parts together by hand, lubricated with a spray of rem oil and re-assembled the 11/87.

The gun has been shot thousands of time since then. I clean the gun every 500 rounds. The separation did not occur again. I think that the parts just fit together with a bit of mild pressure.

I don't think that you need a special tool for this purpose.

Ed Ward

3. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

Thanks for your thoughts and experience. Although the pressure is not great it normaly takes a screwdriver to pry up one side of the bar so that the other can be lifted of and separated from the sleeve. Brownell's actually does offer a special tool for this although a screwdriver or similar tool is all that is really needed. I'm hoping that I can just go ahead shooting the gun without risking causing some kind of damage to the gun. As I said in my earlier post, although I can take the action bar and action bar sleeve apart by hand now, everything seems to function fine.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I had one that came apart, and I slightly bent the end of the bars to make them grip the sleeve a little better. Shooting it for 2 years now with no problems.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.