1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for Release Shooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 12ShotTwo, Dec 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

Assuming you use a release in trap, do you guys use release or pull trigggers in your skeet or SC guns? Do you switch back and forth or use releases in all of them. Seems to me that once you learn to use release you would also use it in the other games as well.

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Hard as it might be to believe, I only need a release trigger when shooting trap. I can shoot a pull trigger in a rifle or handgun during any kind of use and even a shotgun while hunting without a problem and never have even thought about "setting" one of those triggers. I don't shoot skeet and have only shot sporting clays twice but did so both times with a pull trigger.

Must be something about a little cinderblock building in front of me...

Ed

3. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I shoot trap and skeet with a double release. I hunt and target shoot with pistols and rifles with a pull no problem.
    Don

4. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

Release for trap. Pull trigger for everything else. Occasionally in skeet I might find myself shooting a low gun start if I notice I want to flinch. It's certainly not as noticeable in skeet, but a little bit sometimes. Hunting is fine with a pull trigger.

5. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I use a release at Trap but a pull in the field - and I shoot a lot in the field. No problems.

6. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I just switched to a release & am wondering where to purchase the release trigger stickers to put on my gun?

7. buster45

buster45 Active Member

I use double releases for all Clay sports and pull triggers in the field without any problems.Your local club should have the release trigger stickers if not contact Nsca and they will send them to you.

Buster

8. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I use double release for trap and sporting clays. When I first went to a release, I used a release/ pull. All that turned out to be was a release/flinch. Ed

9. OzarkGun

OzarkGun Member

Ditto on the release stickers. I looked at Gamaliel for some. They sell a sheet of them (6-8) for $7.95 and then try to charge $10.95 for freight . Needless to say, I am still in need of stickers.

Thanks
    Jack

10. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

Many Thanks. I for my part will check stickers at my club, they don't have then, I'll buy. I love this forum!

Joe

11. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

If you start a thread here "I need release stickers' you most likely will get several people who will send you one for free.

12. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

A year or two ago, I would have answered this differently, but that was then and this is now. About one week into this past pheasant season I was flinching so badly I had to haul out my 30" Browning XT which has double release triggers to use in the field to finish the season. The gun has a thumb safety and it worked great. So shotgunning-wise I shoot release triggers for everything now. Copper (my golden retriever) must be happier, 'cause I don't get those dirty looks from him anymore. I plan to have Spears build a set of double releases for a Browning O/U field gun for next year. Rifles and handguns are still OK to pull (for now).

Jon Reitz

13. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

I shoot a double release for trap and pull triggers for skeet and sporting. I tried releases for skeet and sporting but it didn't work out well with a low gun start.

Jere

14. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Seems like we have a mixed bag here.

I just flinch in trap. More so in singles than handicap too. Never on an extreme angle target either. Just quarter angles to straights. My guess is target appears to be moving so much faster on the hard angles that it somehow shuts down the flinch reflex because the brain is too busy processing the correct lead. I still shoot skeet and rifles and pistols with a pull trigger and have yet to flinch on a game bird. Maybe if I ever went on one of those South American dove hunts and was putting a thousand rounds a day through a gun I would see something different but as far as hunting goes for me, a box of shells lasts about a season.

Jeff

15. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Double release for clay targets and pull for field. No problem. I think the difference is the fact that I shoot gun up for all clay target sports and gun down for hunting. I know many folks around here that shoot the release for trap and pull for hunting. The common denominator seems to be gun up or gun down. Bill Malcolm

16. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you need "release trigger decals, just go to any of your local vinyl sign shops and have them made. They are no different than vinyl window signs and are computer generated. Bill

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Am I the only one that finds it odd that trapshooters are the primary users of release triggers? There must be a reason for the amount of shooters feeling they must use a release for trap to shoot good scores? I use a release and pull triggers for trap, other games and a pull on my hunting guns.

I have my own theory on why this is true and surprised no one has an opinion, other than a flinch as a reason to switch.

I feel bad pull triggers drive more shooters to a release than the dreaded flinch! A bad pull trigger will cause the dreaded flinch to rear it's ugly head quicker. Especially on the easier targets? The quote below by Jeff about confirms this happens at least to some?

"I just flinch in trap. More so in singles than handicap too. Never on an extreme angle target either. Just quarter angles to straights. My guess is target appears to be moving so much faster on the hard angles that it somehow shuts down the flinch reflex because the brain is too busy processing the correct lead." (GoldEx-Jeff) Why is that?

If we can reason out the whys, we can fix it, possibly?

Hap

18. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I use double release in trap. In Sporting Clays I use release/release. Skeet, I use two releases. In hunting, I use release on the bottom barrel, set it and release it; in the top barrel I set it before I release . I use a pull trigger in all of the above disciplines just before I release it. I hope that clarifies this for everyone.

Ever wonder why we flinch with a pull but we are able to set the 2nd shot of the double release trigger without flinching? Wondering minds want to know.

Charlie

19. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Charlie, would it be safe to say, you use pull release on both barrells on all guns? LOL Jake

20. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Jake,

I flinch so bad my friends hate to see me shoot a pull. Only advantage is that in Sporting Clays I get to shoot each target 3 or 4 times before the gun actually goes off. It only doubles my score to go to double release.

By the way, on my Beretta 390 , I only have a single release trigger.

Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.