1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question For President Winston

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shoot'er, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shoot'er

shoot'er TS Member

President Winston I just had a quick question for you, after looking at shootata.com and noticing pet memberships now, why not target real people. More specifically the SCTP shooters, I am from Nebraska, as I'm sure you know we have the largest SCTP shoot in the country, but I have not seen the ATA there trying to get new members. I just thought that the ATA would want to go around to the SCTP events and recruit there! I guess instead of getting pets a membership you would want to get real people instead, that might stick with it for longer. Just wondering.

Thanks,

SCTP Shooter and ATA member

J.D. S

2. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I thought if you shot ATA you had to be a member. So who would you recruit??

Don

3. shoot'er

shoot'er TS Member

Don I don't think you understand, what I am getting at is that the ATA should be getting more SCTP shooters (SCTP is not part of the ATA), and trying to recruit more of them instead of getting a membership for there dog.

4. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

J.D. -

The part you don't understand is that the ATA is not "recruiting" pet members. It merely a fundraising effort, and somewhat clever I believe. Everybody gets asked for money to support various organizations, this has a broad appeal because a large majority of households have pets - and most consider them like part of the family. I'm still trying to keep this from my wife, because as soon as she finds out she'll want one for our dog.

Scott

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Some of us don't have children and our pets are like family. The wife thinks It's cute, so there for it is.

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hey, get in line for your question to be answered. I've been waiting for over 2 years.

7. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hey, get in line for your question to be answered. I've been waiting for over 2 years.

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The fact is the ATA does not recruit members the clubs across the country do by hosting registered shoots ... I would be more abt to give money to an organization that needed and asked for it rather than buy any animal a membership even if it is as a fund raiser ... The cost factors have been cut to a minumum for the ATA now that they do not have a home grounds to maintain and hold shoots at so why would they need additional money and what is the intended use of same ..? I cannot imagine that having a fund raiser without a definate purpose in an organization such as the ATA is would even be legal ... Maybe Neil could give us all a few answers or at least some clues to the reasons behind such a fund raiser so it would make some sense ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. scott calhoun

Bill -

You're not so far out of touch with the ATA that you need to ask such a question. You know perfectly well the new programs that have been put in place and why the ATA needs income.

Which is it - raise money so the ATA can afford various programs/homegrounds/etc, or stop charging so much money so it's not so expensive to shoot?

Scott

10. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

My dog turned down his membership! Hey....what can I say?

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The ATA has eliminated the up keep of home grounds and the cost of shooting will continue to rise, so back to the question of "whats the money going to be used for" ..? The ATA will never have a home grounds in any of our life times because it is not cost effective any longer ...

Scott,

Do you really think its fair to say something like "keep the cost of shooting down" if it has not been delegated as such and said so in advance ..? Why would anyone donate so some other could go to the Grand or any other shoot for that matter ..? If people can't afford it they shouldn't and won't go thats all, problem solved ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. lumper

lumper TS Member

My pet, Aurthur the Aardvark got his new membership and average card before I did. Maybe because he has a higher average than I though ... kind of goes to also show what programs are most important to the ATA.

13. scott calhoun

Bill -

Regarding my comment about the cost of shooting . . . I was referring to the people who complain that dues went up $2 a year, then later complain that they don't understand why the ATA doesn't have any money.

As far as donations . . . lots of people donate to lots of causes so other people can do things that those people couldn't otherwise afford. If you are not one of those guys, that's OK - that's why it's a donation and not a tax.

I was referring specifically to some of the youth shooting initiatives.

Scott

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Scott,

I cannot remember any fund raiser that I have seen or gave a donation to that was not for a specific purpose or reason ... To have a fund raiser just to have one probably wouldn't get much of a response or much of a reception from many people ... I have several organizations that I donate to and its because they are worth while in my mind ... These usually have something to do with people who cannot afford a meal, have been battered and beaten, and are people who are just down on their luck for what ever reason ... I'll be damned if I will donate so some shooters can shoot even if its a kid because his or her parents won't spend their own money on it ... I was raised and believe that if you want something bad enough its worth getting off of your ass and go and earn it, even when I was a kid ... That might be part of the problem with Kids today, too many people handing them things they don't want bad enough to go and earn for themself or the kids having a fund raiser of their own, on their own ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

I believe most you have missed the point Shoot'er's question. Many SCTP shoots are not registerred events. I believe his question is why doesn't the ATA work more closely with each state and try to be more involved.

Shoot'er if I am wrong please correct me.

Many people in the ATA do not support the SCTP program. They believe most juniors will only shoot a year or two and they drop out. What many do not understand is there are more advantages for the ATA than just the Juniors. Yes the SCTP program is designed for the Juniors. But stop for a moment and realize, many youths in this program are not from outdoor or shooting families.
    We are introducing them not only to the SCTP program but shooting and outdoor sports as well. Very important for our future. And then there is the added
    value of family members and friends becoming involved.

A quick story I have posted before. A few years ago I invited a employee of our company to bring her son to our Junior clinic. She did and also brought her sister and her son. The sister brought her next door neighbors and their 2 sons. Net result. Those families have purchased over 15 guns, untold cases of ammo, accessories etc. etc. Although all do not shoot regularly. The 2 women still shoot, with their families, recreationally. The family introduced by the sister all continue to shoot registerred targets. One of the boys just
    won a trophy at the Autumn Grand. And some of thier family members now participate. I introduced 1 person and today over 12 have become involved. I know this is a true of all, but the SCTP program is the biggest asset we have today. - Jim

16. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

My dog now insists that her 7 1/2's are superior to the 8's that I shoot.
    I should never have allowed her to buy that ATA membership.....

17. lumper

lumper TS Member

Dang ... Aurthur began to get a little varky with my last night about the ATA and such along with telling me what new shotgun and shells he wanted for Christmas this year ... does anyone know if Aardvark can be cooked just like possum?

18. tachyon

tachyon Member

Perhaps I can clarify Shoot'er's situation. Essentially, Jim Elliot's post is dead on.

JD (Shoot'er) participates in the Eastern Cornhusker Trapshooting Conference each spring. We have between 800 and 1,000 high school and junior high shooters competing each week spread out over three venues. These are not ATA or SCTP shoots. Our state championship is the Cornhusker State shoot. This is run by Nebraska Game and Parks and is not an ATA or SCTP shoot. With more than 1,700 shooters it would be a great place for the ATA to recruit new members. There are a lot of vendors and having an ATA/NTA booth would be a natural. After the shoot I will receive information from 3 or 4 nearby sporting clays ranges with discount coupons for the kids to "try sporting clays" and schedules to post for sporting clays shoots during the summer but no information from trap clubs. There are a few of these shooters (like JD) who shoot ATA on a regular basis but there are a lot of others who don't know much about the ATA and its shoots.

I have introduced about 100 girls to the shotgun sports in the last few years. Less than 10 came from shooting families. Most of them and their parents had no experience with guns. Some of them would have been characterized as "anti gun" before their experience with the team. Like Jim's example many of the parents have now tried the sport, some are shooting leagues and a few are shooting registered targets. The program impacts families not just the shooters. The parents and kids have moved from neutral/anti-gun to pro gun and going to a shoot is a family experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.