1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for Phil Kiner

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by esoxhunter, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Phil: On another forum, (Shotgun World), there was a discussion regarding the use of a release trigger. On one of the threads I asked a question that you probably missed. Many of us agreed with you that the release trigger has helped a lot of shooters that battled the flinch. (Myself included) My basic question was; do you feel that a release trigger will help some people shoot better, even though they have no flinch or need to progress to a release? It may be just ME; but I believe that I have become a better shooter because of the release. (This is discounting the fact that I developed a flinch, which the release cured). Bottom line; if a shooter who averages we will say 96%; would a release, (in SOME cases), allow this fairly good shooter to progress to a higher average even though they haven't developed a flinch? The release trigger system just seems to be a smoother and a better way to shoot the target. Thanks a lot. Ed

2. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Maybe Leo should try one!! Jimmy Borum

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Jimmy, Leo told me at the MO state shoot he did try a release one time. Said he saw no real advantage to it for him! There's many other dandy shooters that also use a "good" pull trigger!

Hap

4. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

FWIW, a very experienced and talented shooter advised me NOT to go to a release trigger until and unless I developed a flinch. He said that if you go to a release trigger before developing a flinch, then you have "nowhere to go" if you should develop a flinch.

bluedsteel

5. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

My name is Phil

IMHO-- only those shooters that really need a release should go to one.

There are so many more mechanical issues with releases that frankly they are a pain in the ass and should be avoided at all costs as long as possible.

But if you truly need one then it is the best thing since sliced bread.

Most shooters that shoot better after going to release needed it but did not realize the fact.

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Oh c'mon Phil, you must be referring to all those other releases-not Krieghoff. We all know they're the best. They even cure the malady known as "I didn't see the target just right therefore I flinched"!!

7. jimsw

jimsw Member

I went to a release after I developed a world class flinch. I simply could not pull the trigger. The release cured that.

Phil is right they can be mechanical nightmares and they have to be set up and maintained properly. You have to be able to control both the set and release pressure because they can change. I had a trigger go from a 5 lb set/3 lb release to a 2 lb set/1 lb release. Under those conditions things can happen pretty quickly and unexpectedly.

Safety is also a major issue. "Trap games" are a thing of the past for me. I would never dream of participating with a release. Those craters on the back of trap houses weren't caused by shooting at low birds!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.