1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question For Pat Ireland

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bill1949, May 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

Pat: I was recently scoring at one of our registered shoots. A shooter shot at and missed a target that came out with a small piece of broken target. I called the target lost. He disagreed and we got the shoot director to settle it. Shoot Director let him reshoot target, which was fine by me. I checked the rule book. On page 19 it seemed to say I was right and on page 21 it seemed to say I was wrong. Please tell me which is right so I will know next time? Thank You...Bill

2. littlebear

littlebear TS Member

If the bird came out of the house with a broken piece of target why didn't you call it "No Bird"? Then there would be no question it should be reshot.

3. Harold

Harold TS Member

A target that comes out with debris is a No Target no matter what.

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Here is a clip from Page 31 of the current ATA Rule Book:

E. NO TARGET
    The referee/scorer shall rule “NO TARGET” and allow another target(s)
    in the following instances:

1. When an allowable “Failure to Fire” as described above occurs.

2. In single target events when the target is thrown broken, regardless
    of the result of any shot fired.

3. ........

5. Harold

Harold TS Member

3. When a whole target appears on the call of the shooter along with
    target debris.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bill- An excellent question. If a whole target appears along with target debris from another broken target, a no target is called. But- exactly what is target debris and how much of it has to come out with a whole target. When shooting on post 5, it is not uncommon to see a very small piece of debris come out with a whole target. These small pieces do not get above the trap house and can only be seen from post five. Do these count as target debris?

The rule now seems to be applied in this way. If a lot of debris comes out, it is a no target. If just a little debris comes out, it is a legal target. That shifts the problem to defining "a lot" and "a little". This is a rule that, in my opinion, needs to be either clarified or dropped.

I the instance you cited, I would have let the shooter shoot over. But, if the shooter tried to claim debris several times, I would begin calling the targets lost. The rule book is not intended to be encyclopedic and from time to time, judgment becomes involved.

Pat Ireland

7. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

Pat it was a very small piece of target from station 5. He shot and missed before I could call "no target". Thanks for your answer...Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.