1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for P gun guys?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JLSO5, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

Question for you P gun guys. Can a nickel MX8 have the finish removed and engraved like the blued one can after market? I was told on another thread that they could be but I need to make sure.

Thanks in advance.

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Most of those receiers are hard as heck so dont expect the aftermarket engraving to be very deep unless you soften the reciever first and then who has the experience to rehardent them?

Gene

3. daveship

daveship Member

Can the case coloring be re- done on my 1972 ithaca imported mx8?

4. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

Rey good to hear from you again. How did you do with the SO? I can buy either a nickel or blued MX8 so it doesn't really matter to me which one but I have a better buy on a new nickel.
    The engraver is one of the top 10 in the world so I am sure he knows what he is doing.

Thanks

5. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

the nickel would have to be stripped before engraving,that might cost 75 bucks.
    the blued metal is the same hardness ,overplated or not.casehardening is avery easily polished thru skin and carbide engraver will cut right thru it.

6. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Dave: contact Joe Schmo on this site. He has a color-cased gun redone by someone that is magnificent! I don't remember who, but I've seen it.

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Glenrock Blue did the georgeous one on one posted here recently.

WW

8. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

Billyboy thanks for that info as a friend of mine bought a blued MX8 from Giacomo and he took the bluing off and the gun was engraved over here. It turned out very nice. I thought from what others said the nickel and blued were the same but G7777777 said no and since he was the only one I am going with the other 99%.

9. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

JLS05, you might want to contact Marcello Guliani on this website his screen name is "decimamas54." He does a lot of custom work on Perazzi's, having them custom engraved by top artisans, like Creative Art. He can tell you exactly what the process is. But the short story is that the gun is annealed to make it soft enough to engrave. Then it is engraved and re-hardened to the original specs before the final finish is applied. He can show you examples of his work that are simply museum pieces.

There are several people on this site that own some of Marcello's guns. If you do a search for "MX8 engraving" you will find some threads.

10. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

Thanks Avaldes as I talked to him when he had that last SCO by Creative Art for sale. By time he got back to me on the model it was I missed it. That is why I am looking at having one engraved.

11. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Hah, join the club! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.