1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question For Owners Of Precision Triggers....

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Hauxfan, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about buying one of there release triggers..........but..........that's a lot of money.

To those who have bought them, are they that good, or are they that much better?

Just wanting to know your thoughts on this trigger.

Advantages, or disadvantages.

Anyone have any trouble with them.

Do they take a regular Perazzi leaf spring, or is it a special type that is hard to get?

Thanks everyone!

Hauxfan!

2. gary0920

gary0920 Member

I have had mine for just over a year. You will be well ahead to sell your current trigger and get the Precision Trigger. I have had two Allem's double release triggers and they are a very good trigger, the Precision Triggers are better. To convert to a double release will cost you over $600. Take that and add to what you can sell your current group for and you will be in the ball park of the Precision in terms of cost. They do use the standard Perazzi spings.

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Hauxfan.... Let me take a little of your time here, if I may. I have been shooting a release trigger for about 9 years. I started with a Ljutic release, and, on its best day it was junk. I traded the Ljutic for a 90T with a Kolar release. Very nice trigger but so fast it scared me. Never could slow it down so traded the gun for a Perazzi MX-3 combo.. That gun had a Dale Reitz double release in it that was as smooth as silk. It really was a fantastic trigger. I sold that MX-3 and bought a MX-15/MX-8 combo that had a set of Bowen double releases in it. Those triggers always gave me trouble as they were never the same set or release from one day to the next. By this time, I had become pretty familiar with release triggers and what to look for and what to look out for. In a short period of time I went through all these double releases looking for a trigger that would be RELIABLE, CONSTANT, and would not have to be re-set and tuned up every 6 months or so. I had a set of Allems, Bowens, Jerry Whites, Mel Hunting, and Dale Reitz. ALL of them had their flaws, while the Reitz triggers were the most constant of the bunch. I had an opportunity to shoot a set of Precision double releases at the PITA Grand Pacific 4 years ago. I have to tell you, I was totally amazed at the way those triggers felt to me. It was like a dream come true They were the smoothest set of release triggers I had ever shot. When I found out about the guarantee that came with the trigger, I ordered a set of them the very next day from Bob Schultz in North Carolina. I am still shooting that same set of triggers today in my DB-81. I bought them with an 80oz. set and 32oz. release. I have since had Jim Coons, the maker of the Precision Trigger, reset the set point to 88oz. of set and 26oz. of release. I wanted him to slow the trigger down for me due to the way I shoot the DB-81. Not only is the Precision trigger the finest Perazzi trigger available today, the company that makes them, AC Engineering, stands rock solid behind them. I have sent my trigger in 4 times over the time I have had it for everything from a total tune up to completely changing the set and release points, and Jim has never charged me a dime to do the work. I honestly believe it's more important to him that you have a trigger that does EXACTLY what you want it to than it is for him to charge for his services. He has spent countless hours on the phone with me explaining the way his trigger works and what he suggests that will help me. I wouldn't shoot another release trigger in my Perazzi that wasn't Jims if it was given to me. It is a great trigger, Haux, and worth every penny you will pay for it. You won't be sorry you bought I, I guarantee you....Just my experience...Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

precision trigger for ljutic or kolar?

5. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

Buy one, you'll like it. cls

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I bought an MX-3 used and could not justify spending an additional $1700 on a trigger for a gun that cost me about $2400. I had Jerrie White convert the original pull trigger to a Double Release and I am delighted with his work. My trigger sets at 80 oz and releases at 32 oz and has not changed one bit since I got it.

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Steve..... When I got the DB-81 Combo, I found I was short shooting the target most of the time. I was continually taking the bottoms out of the target. In my minds eye, I was right on the target, but I just wasn't getting to it as I should be. I tried raising my comb to adjust the POI, but it just didn't seem to be doing what I wanted it to do. The gun was shooting much higher than I wanted it to. I was releasing the trigger before I really got to the target. I was having some difficulty controlling the trigger and was letting go before I actually was on the bird. This was particularly true in doubles. I talked to Jim Coons about the problem and told him I wanted more "let-off" in the trigger so I had better control over it. He suggested I increase the set point and lower the release point so it felt like there was more of a delay in the trigger letting off. I just got it done and so far it seems to be working very well for me. I feel as though I can still "save" the trigger if I'm not on the target properly, whereas, before the modification, if I even thought about letting go of the trigger it was gone. I am finding out that there is a very fine line for me between my gun hold and my trigger speed in determining just the right combination, and how the two work together to bring it all in focus.
    I know that I can now control the trigger much better than I could before and am getting very comfortable with it.....Dan

8. Kolarpole

Kolarpole Member

Hauxfan...........I have a Precision/ release..pull/ in my Mx2000. Purchased thru Randy and Diane and find it to be QUALITY. Diane was very, very helpful from the questions to the purchase. Used an Allem before and love the Presicion Gold. You will be very pleased..........Kolarpole

9. winchesterAA

winchesterAA Member

I have a Precision Trigger as a spare Pull/Pull, The Perazzi springs will not fit in this trigger? Or are they not recommended? Are the springs made differently so they do not fit? Being it a backup trigger ive never had too change the springs in it, Can someone verify this? Richie

10. bh

bh TS Member

Winchester==no, yes, and no

11. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

The first release trigger that I ever had and used was, what I've been told, a slow trigger in a TM-1. I went to a double release, in an MX-8, for doubles but couldn't get any real consistency with the sets and releases. I bought a Precision double release, 80-28 in both triggers. It worked great for me so when the opportunity came to purchase a very slightly used one for a backup, I grabbed it and removed the upper cocking cam so I could use it for a top single. If my first one ever (it hasn't yet) breaks, I'll just reinstall the cam and go back to work. When they introduced the TM-1 version, I was one of the first to have one. I really love mine and wouldn't trade them for any other, no matter what the cost.
    They can use original Perazzi springs.

Ed Yanchok

12. Hauxfan

Hey, guys, thanks for all the input and experience that you have with these triggers.

Walenda has it right, I do shoot a single barrel, and it is a TM-1 Perazzi.

Now, if I was to order one, where, or who is the best to order from.

The only place I've been able to find on the web so far is at
    Mile High Shooting, nd no one mentioned that place.

Thanks again for all your replies. It does help a lot when someone knows about the product.

Hauxfan!

13. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Diann Pennington is Mile High. Excellent people to do business with. I don't believe that Bob Schultz handles them anymore.

Ed Yanchok

14. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Haux, besides Mile High, Ray Stafford carries some with him.

It is one heck of a trigger and you'll definetly be satisfied with the purchase :-}

If you want to try one, you can shoot a few rounds with Devi's at the Kansas State Shoot.

PerazziBigBore, tell ole Coonzy the next time you talk to him that if he could only play hearts as well as he builds triggers that he would actually be alittle competition.LMAO

15. Hauxfan

PheasantMaster, that sounds like a good idea. I'll be there on driving down on Wednesday, and will be shooting Thursday and Friday, and then headed back home.

Thanks Ed Y, for that info.

Hauxfan!

16. Rio

Rio TS Member

This thread has some very interesting Info. I made the 27 yd. line in Sept. of 2006 and did not shoot much last fall. But I did buy a new release trigger for my Ljutic. I made it back to the 27 shooting the old release that was not made by the Ljutic factory. When I started too shoot this spring. I found out that the holds points that I used with the old trigger would not give me the same kind of breaks as with the new trigger. I have too hold lower on the trap house. What kind off info. Can you guys give me about the hold point / speed of the trigger? My trigger is setup with a 64 oz. set and a 32 oz. release.
    Thanks
    Rio

17. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Haux, only two days in the company of shootlow??????????????? I thought the two of you would want to share more "tender moments" together than two days worth!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Guess I'll just have the give the two of you a "boost" along the way to make your trip enjoyable>LMAO

18. Hauxfan

Actually, PheasantMaster, that is all the time he can stand to spend with me.

His inferiority complex gets to bothering him to much.

I try to carry a box around that he can stand on while he is talking to me, but sometimes he just doesn't want to get on it. He develops some kind of attitude with me and everyone around him, and no one wants to be near him when that attitude develops......Least of all, me.....

When I'm having a good time, it does something to his thought process and he is screwed up for a month or so after I leave, so 2 days is about all he can take at one time.

It's either that or double his meds. ;-)

Actually, I'll be down sometime Wednesday, and I'll be coming directly to the KSTA grounds. I think it is around an 8 hour drive, and I should be there early afternoon or so. If I get there in time to shoot handicap, I probably will, but if not, no biggie.

Hauxfan!

19. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Hey, Haux! Looking forward to seeing you there. I think you will really like this trigger. I had a Spears, another one converted by Allem, and Zahm. I had trouble with every one of them (I have to say that Allem's credit that he told me I should junk that other trigger, though, and I liked the way it felt).

The precision is the best...bar none. It is trouble-free and consistent. AND PRECISE, just like the name says.

If you like it, I'll sell it to you for, say...$4K. Well, for you, maybe just $3800. :)

20. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Just kidding... Maybe for $3500...lolololol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

is a precision trigger better than an allem trigger