1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for outboard motor guys

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by FIB, May 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

I own a 2007 15hp 4 stroke Mercury outboard that I seldom use (less than 8 hrs use). I moved it while cleaning out my garage and later noticed a small amt. of oil leaking by the propeller running down to the skag. The motor was left on it's stand except when I physically picked it up off the stand to move it. The motor was also elevated when on the stand but that's it. I've never noticed this before. It seems that have stopped and the quantity was only 3-5 drops. Any ideas ???

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There is a seal on the propeller shaft that leaks from time to time from sitting, if you hand spin the prop occasionally this usually won't happen ... We used to run unlimited outboards on racing boats and never had that problem, but did blow out a seal one time and leaked oil all over the place because we didn't pay attnention to it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

I concur on turnning the prop every so often in non use times

4. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks guys I really appreciate your responses. Best Wishes, Randy Price

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Remove the prop and look for fishing line around the prop shaft. It does have a safe guard in case it winds some in, but that doesn't always work. I would then drain the lower unit fluid and look for water contamination (milky white oil). If the oil is contaminated, you will need to reseal the lower unit and replace the fluid properly. By properly, I mean that the lube needs to be pumped into the lower unit from the bottom until it comes out of the upper vent screw hole. It could just simply be a matter of a loose drain or vent screw.

If the fluid is fine, just replace it.

I do quite a bit of this sort of work, just Email me if you need a hand.

My little rig:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=DSCN0991.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Jb

6. FIB

FIB Member

Tron your boat and mine are set up almost exactly the same.
    [​IMG]

7. Tron

They're nice little motors and GREAT on gas!

Jb

8. FIB

FIB Member

Tron, yes they are. I've been very pleased with mine. I bought it after someone stole my 9.9hp Honda. I would have liked to have bought another Honda but couldn't afford it.

9. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Please use good rope. See Tron in upper right corner of boat. Jeff

10. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Tron, What is the name of the little round domed piece of metal you punch out when cleaning a carburetor? I just want to buy a few for when I clean mine and do not want the whole kit? 110 Force with three carbs. Thanks, Ray...Can PM me.

11. cafowler

cafowler Member

FIB,

How long has it been sitting on the stand? How hot does your garage get?

I see this all the time on my two outboards. It's the residual oil in the gas/oil mix. The OB's exhaust out the prop into the water. That exhaust gets a little unburned oil from the mix that accumulates. As the motor sits, gravity and heat take over, and you get a little "leakage" out the bottom. Same thing that happens to old trappers on this site, they sit and blow a bunch of hot air, and a little "leakage" comes out their bottoms, also refered to in some circles as "BS". Nothing to worry about on the OB's, can be a serios problem for old trappers, about time the wife's starting seriously considering trading in the old units. If you add a bit of extra oil to the mix over what the motor calls for, you'll see this leakage more pronounced, i've seen that before too. The fix is to get the unit out on the water more often and have fun.

Hope this helps.

Kirk

12. Tron

X Trap 2, some carbs have caps over the adjustment needles in an attempt to prevent people from Monkeying around with the mixtures. The auto industry used to do the same thing on their later carberated vehicles.

cafowler, that would be true if it were a 2 stroke...but it's a 4.

13. FIB

FIB Member

An update, since I spinned the propeller by hand it seems to have stopped. I appreciate all the responses. My motor is a 4 stroke not a 2 so the responses about oil/gas mixture don't apply but thanks anyway. Regards, Randy Price

14. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Tron, I watched as a boat mechanic did a tune up and cleaned the carbs for me when I bought the boat.

I think there was just a pin size hole in a cavity under it. I want to punch it out and blow cleaner through the hole. You punch a hole in it to remove and it is ruined.

I need to know the name of what it is called so I can go to Ebay and see it there are any there.

I went to the boat shop and they only sell kits. I did not think to ask what ther were called but they did not sell them. I just got the bowl gaskets.Ray

15. Tron

I don't know the exact name of what they're called, but on outboards I've never really had a need to remove them, but it certainly wouldn't hurt and is easy to do. I've found that the best way to clean an outboard carb is with the NAPA carb cleaning kit (part Mac's #6402). The kit comes in what looks like a paint can and has a basket inside for all of the parts. You disassemble the carb (remove jets, float, etc) and set all of the parts (except anything non metalic) for 24 hours, aggitating the basked every now and again. Any crud or corrosion will be gone and you finish it off with a spray can of carb cleaner.

But, if you need those caps, I'd just get the carb kit to be sure they're the exact ones. They're pretty cheap.

Jb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.