1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

question for old-timers who raised chickens

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by quicky, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicky

quicky Member

I wonder if anyone remembers the old waterers that had a kerosene reservoir and a wick that burned a flame which kept the water thawed in the winter? Would there be anything like that available anywhere? Thanks, Quicky

2. Amersabungero

Amersabungero TS Member

Quicky,

Wow, you bring back some OLD momories for sure. I remember those items well from when I was a kid and back then all the poultry equipment catalogs carried them. It's been years since I saw one advertised. Now there are several electic models available and here is one place that I found some for you to examine. http://www.shopthecoop.com/id86.html

Depending on your layout there are some pretty good alternatives to keeping your water heated. I used to take care of about 300 roosters in individual outdoor pens and here are some things that I did. I made individual water cups by cutting empty 20 ounce drink bottle a few inches up from the bottom. The plastice in them is so tough you can easily tap the bottom with a hammer and dislodge all the ice. When you refill those they will have water to drink for a good while until it freezes again.

For chickens on free range you can make waterers out of any kind of black rubber type of bucket or pot. An advantage to black is it will absorb the heat from the sun and on many days that is all that is required to keep the water around the inside edge of the pot from freezing. Also with a water container made of rubber it is very easy to break the ice out of it.

I hope some of this might be helpful to you.

Break them all,

Carl Kelly Jr.

3. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Hmm, I thought I posted info on Lehman Hardware in Kidron Ohio here yesterday. They have all sorts of old time goods and might have what you are looking for. I do not have a url for them try just Googleing their name. Bill

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
  5. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

I remember when Clint Murchison, wealthy Texas oil man, was interviewed by Edward R. Murrow. After an hour of talking about all the history of Texas oil and Murchison's success, Murrow asked if he had any advice for young fellows just going into business. The advice was "don't go into the chicken business - I went broke three times raising chickens".

6. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

One day I told my mom I was ready to leave home.She said son your dad is very proud of you and our name.

So make me one promise, dont't ever be a car salesman or a chicken thief.

Ouicky, I have seen them years ago.Just like the glass eggs we put under a hen that wanted to set.Dam hard to find now.

Thanks for bringing back the old times.

Bocephas

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bocephas - I always thought the glass eggs were a neat trick to play on the Blacksnakes that liked to get into the nests and eat eggs. One of the highlights of my youth was to gather eggs with Grandma and watch her reach into a nest and pull out a snake. Why did I enjoy watching someone I loved suffer so much?

Pat Ireland

8. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Pat, the same reason we shoot trap.

I don't have a clue what that meant, but it sure sounds deep and thoughtful doesn't it?

AJ100

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.