1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for Neil

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ed Y, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Neil,
    Over the years I've looked at and appreciated all of the information that you've posted on these threads. It seems that I remember, but can't find, one about how much shots of different sizes drop at various distances from the muzzle. If you, or someone else, can give me a link to that post, it would be appreciated. I may be thinking too much but was wondering about how much further my shot is dropping between the distance that I break a target from the 16 yard line and the distance that I break a target from the 27 yard line. From this information one should be able to figure how much spacer material to put in when changing events.

Ed Yanchok

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Ed, I think the variances were approx. 3-4 inches for the average shooter? Depending on how quick one shoots the caps makes a slight difference also, requiring a tad more elevation. High flying targets eat my lunch due to back/neck problems unless I raise the POI much higher for those.

Hap

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Now if you know anything about Neil...why wouldn't you do this empirically?

4. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Ed, Where are you putting the spacer material between events? That sounds similar to what Pat claims he lost/mis-placed at the Southern Grand last week. Sorry Ed, I just couldn't pass that one up. Shoot well, Bob

5. Ed Y

I keep them in a little plastic box. Why do you ask?

Ed Yanchok

6. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Too much Ed. If I find that little plastic box I'll know where to return it to.

7. Ed Y

Neil,
    Thanks for the input. I thought that the variance would be greater and I would finally be able to answer the question (71/2 or 8s). I tried using an additional spacer for handicap and was surprised with my performance. Of course that was on one occasion only. Additional trials will tell my if my results were true or just the result of the "Hawthorn Effect".

Ed Yanchok

8. EE

EE Banned User Banned

When moving back to the 27, don't forget to allow for greater effect from the rotation of the earth. For north-facing fields, moving your comb about 3mm to the right should do it.

EE

9. Ed Y

I think that the corrrection probably should be more like 2.75mm since the earths axis was changed during the Haiti earthquake.

Ed Yanchok

10. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Come on, Neil. Can't we have a little fun?

EE

11. KaboK80

KaboK80 TS Member

Ed, I find it hard to believe that most if any shooters could see a measureable difference in the target breaks by moving the impact point 2.5 inches at long yardage handicap distances. Will raising the impact have the wrong effect on a day when the targets are flat or being pushed down by the wind? I think getting your eyes to look at the target properly will far out weigh any small adjustment you might make on your impact point for shot drop compensation from the 16 yard distance to the 27 yard impact point. That being said, if you do feel that it has a positive effect for you then you should stick with it as haveing a confidence builder can be very helpful to you. Try to keep it simple, the fewer things to worry about the better. Hope to see you soon and we will talk more about this at the range.

Bob Malmstedt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.