1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

QUESTION FOR NEIL WINSTON AND "MORE"

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gdbabin, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

QUESTION FOR NEIL WINSTON AND

Neil,

I received notification through the ATA site that a computer review has resulted in a one-yard reduction back to the 21 yd line. Yesterday I got the letter with the new average card and accompanying slip explaining my options.

My state shoot begins this week and I plan to shoot starting Thursday. My question: If I decide I want to refuse the reduction, how do I get that done officially two days prior to the shoot?

Now the "more" part for anyone willing to provide guidance--it seems I'm without a trap Mentor, poor-poor pitiful me....

I'd like some help in deciding to refuse the reduction or not. I got to the 22 by a tie for second with a score of 94 in Oct07 at Hog Heaven, TN after shooting from the 21 for only 5 events.

Since the push to the 22, I've hit 84.27% of 1,100 while hitting 94.26% of 1,500 16's. With the exception of three 91's, two of which were my most recent scores, my Hcp scores have ranged between 72 and 87. My pride doesn't want to go back. My brain tells me I probably should swallow the pride and shoot my way back to the 22.

Thanks,

Guy Babin

2. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Do not and I repeat DO NOT go against anything at all in regards to anything the ATA says or does for your. If they say your supposed to now be on the moon then get your ass to the moon so if they say your supposed to be on the 21 then get there and shoot there till they tell you different.

Just who do you think you are? Just what gives you the right or even the thought to go against anything the ATA tells you to do ... your a 21yd line shooter and thats the story and somebody is going to have to stick to the story because if not then the story will change your going to miss a bunch of targets or something or other like that.

3. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Guy -

Not Neil, but as far as your state shoot, just give them your pre-reduction yardage. If they are using the computer and it shows your yardage with the reduction you can just let them know you refused it. Doesn't have to be in the computer as refused. FYI, my guidance is based on how I've done it in the past and/or seen it done.

Scott

4. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I turned down a reduction from 23.5 to 22.5. Wasn't a big deal - there was a slip of paper in the envelope i got that I signed and gave to the classification desk that stated I was refusing the reduction. No problem.

Guy, I'd give yourself another 1,000 at the new yardage before you take the reduction. If, at the end of 2,000 registered targets you still can't average the requisite 90, then move forward, figure things out and win your way back again.

Good luck...

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Confucious say "Wise man always takes easier path to enlightenment"...

The ATA is telling you learn to do it well at 21 or you'll linger longer at 22.

Jim Chapman

Michigan

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

You had a decent day and got a yard. Your averages from the new yardage says a reduction is in order. If yardage is what you are wanting, go immediately to the 25 and shoot from there. A decent guide to use for handicaps might be if your 16 and handicap averages are well below the top shooters caps averages in the sport, take your reductions. Hap

7. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I have over 115000 handicap. The longer you shoot a yardage, the better you will get and the better basics you will learn to handle more yardage. I would take the reduction and work hard. I never turned down a reduction until I went to the 27. I would usually get a reduction notice immediately before or after getting an honorary punch while on the 27.

8. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Take the reduction..........Roger

9. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Take the reduction, you can always win it back at your state shoot.

10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

gdb,

If you want to increase you chances of winning you have to increase your average; there are three ways to do this:

1. Take the reduction

2. Stay where you are and practice and shoot more, but if practicing and shooting haven't worked for the last 1000 you might wonder why they will now

3. Take the reduction _and_ practice and shoot more.

I personally think that "3," above, has the best chance of getting you where you want to be: shooting more good scores and having more fun.

Neil

11. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

gdb,

In that there is very little difference in lead required between the 16 and 22, the fact that your HC averages are trailing your singles average that much indicates that some of your fundamentals,(such as gun fit, stance, vision, POI setting, etc.) are not quite right. In effect, just enough to be magnified by 6 yards to the point of missing.

Get a good instructor, not the club "expert", to review your basics. Yo yoing between yardages without fixing what's wrong does little good.

12. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I sincerely appreciate everyone's input. I'll take the reduction and continue to work on my fundamentals as most have suggested.

I do believe I've been guilty of changing too much the way I shoot handicap targets compared to singles based on a mental perception that I need to lead them more. The 6-yard difference most likely plays with my head more than it impacts the physics involved.

It's a bit ironic that the closest I've ever come to winning anything in my brief two-year "career" has been in handicap. For example, a year ago at the Grand I shot my first ever 50 & 75 straight for a 97 from the 20. It took a couple of months more to match the feat in singles.

Thanks again,

Guy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.