1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for Ms. Recurvyarcher

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by finger, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. finger

finger TS Member

OOOOps. I thought you lived on md eastern shor. Sorry. That would be quite a drive for either/both of you. bob finger

2. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

Not sure why Devi hasn't answered, but I believe she is taking direction from Dave Shaeffer Jr. I am sure his contact info is available somewhere.

Your mileage may vary.

Luvn

3. J.D.Shaeffer

J.D.Shaeffer TS Member

MR DUCKS, My name is Dave Shaeffer, I have been giving classes for a few years now. I am a 3 time All American, I would be more than happy to do a clinic for your wife. If you would like to talk in detale, shoot me an email.

Thank you
    Dave Shaeffer

4. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Joe, I am sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but I was traveling for work that last couple of days.

Dave Shaeffer, Jr. is my coach. I see he has answered above. I am glad that you two are in touch with each other. You can't go wrong with Dave.

Yes, a coach is different from an instructor. Dave is a good one.

If you send me a private message, I will send you my email address. I would definitely like to shoot with your wife. You could put us in touch with each other.

5. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Thanks very raising a good point Devi, in your opinion, what is the difference between a coach & an instructor? I've taken two clinics, one from Harlan Campbell Jr. & another one from Nora Ross? Once I know what to look for I'll probably be in the market for a coach also.-----Thanx--Phil

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

In my personal view, an instructor is someone who gets you set up and teaches you what he knows. A coach is someone who works with you toward your goals, and is there for you to rely on throughout your shooting career.

Dave is my coach, because I can call him whenever I need to and talk with him. If I am having a problem and I start to tank, I call him up and we set a time to get together so he can see what I'm doing wrong, and then he shows me how to improve. We discuss my goals for the year, and we discuss how to go about achieving them. He sets me straight when my goals are so lofty that he knows I will get frustrated trying to get there, and brings me back down to earth and keeps me grounded. He also talks to me about the mental aspects.

Phil Kiner has been a great coach as well for me, and Leo would be excellent, and so would Harlan Campbell. They are all just so far away that it would be cost-prohibitive to do much more than to take a periodic clinic, or to schedule a private lesson when you happen to attend the same shoot (and then I feel guilty because they aren't there to teach, they are there to win).

Although I have never had a lesson with Frank Hoppe, I have talked with him and he has offered me some good advice, and his students are doing very well in the sport, too.

What I like about Dave is that his teaching method is such that you discover quickly what you are doing wrong. I mean, he doesn't TELL you...he uses methods that show you. I remember that people were telling me about one of my consistent mistakes, and I couldn't see that I was doing that, so I would forget what I was told over the next few shoots. Dave never said a word about what I was doing, but when I started my first session with him, it wasn't more than 10 minutes into the session that I could clearly see it. I turned around to look at him when I had this "AHA!!!" , moment, and he had this big grin on his face. I am not an audio-learner...I am a visual/performance-based learner, so that lesson really stuck in my head and stayed with me.

Everyone is different, though. You have to find the coach that works for you as an individual. The choice depends on finances, method, personality, ability, and distance. When you find the right one that works, make sure that you give that coach your all. Diligently listen and try to do what they are asking of you.

The biggest complaint that I have heard from the coach's perspective (not naming any of the coaches in particular, as I've talked with many of them), is that the student doesn't give the method enough time to see the benefit of better scores. Also, if you are a spouse or a parent, don't counteract what the coach is telling your kid or spouse (or significant other). To do so only wastes the money spent, and frustrates the student AND the coach. You don't want to be the cause of a bad working relationship.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.