1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for Model 70 Experts

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by kenf, Nov 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenf

kenf Active Member

I have a question for the Model 70 experts. Did the pre-64 guns always have the matte black bluing on the receivers, or could one come with the high gloss bluing that the barrel would have been finished with?

I recently picked up one that has excellent bluing, very little wear. The stock finish looks to be original, and the face of the bolt does not have a tell tale primer ring. The rifling is still very sharp in this one also.

I've read where Winchester would do pretty much what somebody wanted, but this rifle is a standard sporter, no real bells and whistles. All of the lettering is still very sharp, aside from the proof mark on the receiver, but it could have just been a poor stamping when it was done.

If pictures would help, I can do that.

Thanks

2. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Winchester would deliver just about anything some one ordered from the custom shop. This said, I have owned a lot of M 70 s standard and super grades. I have seen a fair number of custom shop guns. All have had the matte finish on the receiver unless reblued outside of Winchester.

3. Trap4

Trap4 Member

John you are correct as I have a original super grade made in the 4o's, with the original Lyman Peep sight on it and the receiver is Matt finish.

Trap-4

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.