1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

**Question for Model 70 buffs

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by kenf, Sep 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenf

kenf Active Member

After deciding on picking up a Classic Model 70 in 375 H&H, I noticed that the Safari editions were advertised as having double recoil lugs. Now I am not sure if that was only for the 416 and 458, but for all three, including the 375.

With the 375 also being chambered in the Classic Stainless version, I am curious if the stainless 375 also had double recoil lugs, if in fact the Safari models had it, or if the 375 never had double lugs in any model configuration.

Thanks in advance
    Ken

2. shooter49

shooter49 Member

All three had the double lug. Go for the classic safari express. You will be happy with it. I have two, one .375 and one .416.

Vic

3. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

My 375 Super Express has an additional lug on the barrel just ahead of the chamber. FWIW, mine only shoots 300gr RN well. 270 SP shoots like 3 inch groups.

4. kenf

kenf Active Member

Vic,

I took your advice and picked a Safari Express Model ANIB. Did you ever have your action/lugs bedded? How about a muzzle break, or is this one pretty manageable?

5. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I'm really not sure what effect a muzzle break will have on that caliber but I can tell you that it made my Pre 64 Model 70 (originally a 300 H&H) rechambered to .300 Weatherby actually a pleasure to shoot. Before the installation, 3 or 4 rounds and you had a headache. Now, you can shoot a box or more without the headache, actually no worse then a 30-06. The only one that suffers is the observer standing next to you or your target.

Big Jack

6. shooter49

shooter49 Member

Both lugs should be bedded at the factory. I would shoot it first and see how it groups. I have shot factory ammo in both and have not worked up any hand loads for them. They both group well with the factory bedding job. If it shoots well I would go with it. Working up hand loads has not been one of my priorities to see how accurate they really are. The .375 is not bad on the shoulder. I am not a big fan of muzzle brakes. I have a few M70's with the BOSS system and they are extremely loud! Fellow shooters at the range give me some funny looks when I shoot those. The .416 is a kicker and not pleasant to shoot on the bench, off hand is not so bad. I don't know how you are with recoil but the .375 does not bother me. Good luck with you new firearm. Let us know how it works out.

Vic

7. MX/MT

MX/MT TS Member

Before you put a brake on it, consider what you'll be using it for. There is a growing contingent of Professional Hunters in Africa that will not allow their clients to hunt with a rifle equipped with a muzzle brake.

I do know that I hate to be anywhere near a guy shooting with a brake. It's like getting hit in the head with a hammer every time they pull the trigger.

8. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

MX-
    I couldn't have said it better. I don't mind if I'm the one shooting it but if you are close look out.

9. kenf

kenf Active Member

Thanks for the helpful advice Vic. I don't hate recoil, but I don't want to shoot an unbraked 460 Weatherby either.

I'll try working a pet load for it, but will also try some factory offerings in case something goes awry on a trip somewhere.

I will check back in when it arrives.

Ken

10. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

If 3" 12ga don't bother you, a 375 won't either. Perhaps the difference is when you are shooting a shotgun with magnums, you are usually shooting at game and don't notice recoil. The number of times you will shoot at game with your 375 will probably be a lot less unless you are living the good life.

11. MX/MT

MX/MT TS Member

Ken,

Not sure I want to shoot a 460 Wby again under any circumstances.

But then again you're *not* shooting a 460. It's just a 375. I never found it to be that bad. The worst 375 I have (for recoil) is a #1 - kinda light for caliber. Still not terrible, though.

Everyone's tolerance level is different, obviously. 375 is about the limit for me for comfort. Any more is tough for me to shoot well for more than a few shots. Still don't care for brakes though. I just shoot a couple then take a break, shoot a couple...

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

I added a brake to my 300 Win Mag. It can be detached for hunting.

It is VERY noisy but it now recoils like a .243. Great when shooting off the bench.

Don Verna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.