1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for long range meat shooters

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by greg b, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greg b

greg b TS Member

I am having trouble hitting targets at meat shoots 35 to40 yard targets I am a reasonably good 16 yd shooter 97 average . I can usally hit the first three targets 16 yd 22yd and 27yd but get my but kicked in the long range shoot off.
    Ihave tried diffrent hold points loads etc. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

RXP',

A few of questions:

1)What is the POI of your gun?

2)What shell are you using for this target?

3)How much choke are you using?

You have to take all of these factors in when trying to get some help. I hit a lot of targets from the distance you are descibing. I don't change my gun hold point hardly at all between different distances, I just move the gun less the farther I go back. I also change shell speed between those distances mentioned.

ec90t

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Learning to shoot 35 plus yard targets takes practice, technique and, sometimes, special ammunition.

Experience and believing in yourself are very important. Once you start breaking targets from a particular spot or distance, remember the load that worked. Having a load in which you have confidence is at least half the battle.

Your first target, the “call bird” will be a rising target. Shoot these like a 27 yard target. Remember not to move your gun until you see the target. Then swing through the target and keep swinging until you see the target break. Be quick but don’t hurry and swing through the target. I pick up my timing when as we move further back. If the targets appear low, I hold a lower gun.

In some games, you may be the second, third or fourth shooter. As long as the bird is rising, shoot it like a 27 yard target. Once a target peaks or is falling, you have to hold under the target. How far to hold under the target will come from experience, I usually hold a yard or two but, in most cases, your mind will tell you how far based on prior experience.

Most meat shooters have a “call bird” load and a “back up” load. Some may have a variety of loads.

I have used different loads over the years. At present, I like a new Remington STS light handicap (11/8 oz. @ 1200 fps) of size 7 ½ shot back to 35 yards for the “call bird” and a hand loaded pigeon load (11/4 oz @ 1220 fps) of size 6 shot for ranges longer than 35 yards and as a “back up” load.

I would stay away from heavier loads as you really don’t need them and the fear of their recoil may cause you to miss targets.

For years, I used to shoot a Federal paper 23/4 dram 7 ½ for every shot at any distance and won my share of matches.

The combination of a 3 dram 71/2 "call bird" load and a pigeon load of 6’s as a "back up" load is a good place to start.

Also remember, you don't aim a shotgun, you point it. If you take a lot of time to put the bead on a long range bird, it will get away from you or you will shoot behind it. See the bird and shoot the bird. Be quick but don't hurry the shot.

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

If you shoot 1 1/8th oz of #6s with 33 grains of longshot you can use the same lead as 16 yd targets it breaks the targets hard, it cannot be outwalked, this is saying it is an excellent long range shooting shell.

Dr.longshot

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

FlaLagarto:

I used to shoot the Federal plastic Extral Lite 7 1'2s about 10 years ago and did very well with them. There is a little delay between the shot and the hit but they had a long reach. They were great on a hot August day.

6. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Try Nitro27 Sporting Clays 7 1/2, 1300 FPS. Practice until you get the lead down then enjoy.

Don

7. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

number 4 buck works every time. lol

8. Timbob44

Timbob44 Member

Know your poi and shoot something slow but with the power to break em. And most times you will get the two in front of you and the shooter behind you on a over shoot. Thanks,Tim

9. OregonDon

OregonDon TS Member

The Nitro 27 Sporting Clays 1300 fps is a great. Does anyone have the recipe to duplicate this? TIA, Don

10. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Don, I use 25g of Hodgdon Universal in the Remington Nitro hull. It chronographs the same as the Remington Sporting Clays load. Check the Hodgdon website for wad and primer combinations. Shoots just like the factory loads. Bob

11. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I prefer the Remington Nitro Pheasant load 1 3/8oz of #6 for my third/fourth/fifth bird.
    Give 'em plenty of lead.

12. Tugboat

Tugboat Member

In my 32 years shooting trap I have found a big difference between 16 yd and 27 yd targets is how fast I shoot them... I can pop the 16's pretty quick after seeing them.. If I try to shoot the long birds the same way I don't do nearly as well ... Slowing down just a tad has helped me get good hits on the 27's..IMO it's got a lot to do with timing and looking at that target just a little longer before pulling the trigger..... Hope this might help you..

13. jimx200

jimx200 Member

RXP? Man, you must be as old as me...lol. BTW, those were great shells. To get to the "Final 5" shooters, the Rem. Nitro's or any handicap load should do well to the 35-38 yard line. Beyond this line, you need heavier shot than 7 1/2's. Just to prove a point, hang a target sideways or on edge (slim side facing you) about 38 yards out from the trap and try to break it with 7 1/2's...very difficult to do. The smaller shot just does not have the foot pounds of energy to consistently break the clay. Not try the same distance with 5's or 6's and you will break it the majority of time. Forgot to add that after shooting the target with 7.5's, go look and see the small chip marks on the target where it was hit, but did not break.
    Tugboat was spot on about not rushing the long distance shot and seeing it a little longer...my winning shot is where I have stayed tight into my gun. I love the game and to win often takes some real skills with accuracy and loads. Finding the right load that you are CONFIDENT in will help win you a turkey.

14. OregonDon

OregonDon TS Member

K80 - I certainly appreciate your information. Don

15. greg b

greg b TS Member

Thanks every one for the good advice i will try your ideas out this weekend

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hitting long range trap targets