1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for Eye Docs

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ke4yyd, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I had cataract surgery over the summer and fall with apparently great results. Uncorrected vision is 20/30 and 20/25 right and left eye respectfully. Both eyes are corrected to better than 20/20. However I have noticed that when alternately opening and closing each eye objects appear to be at different places. The object in the right eye is slightly higher and to the right of the left eye. I don't think I had this problem before surgery. I do not have double vision as my brain compensates. Occasionally when I have been looking at some thing close and then glance up at a clay I will see two for a fraction of a second.

Questions, is this a common occurrence after cataract surgery? Is it caused by refraction errors in the IOL's? Is it something that needs to be corrected by adding "prism" to my prescription? It seems to be minor and only noticeable when I look for it. Should I just ignore it?

I have noticed that I miss more straight aways than before and I hit targets on the left side more.

2. mnjim

mnjim TS Member

I had the same surgey done this past fall. Best thing I ever did. I don't notice any problems seeing two targets. It's been so damm cold here in Minnesota, I haven't had much chance to shoot. Best of luck with your new eyes. MnJim

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have a cataract in my left eye which is not yet ready for surgery. When I close my left eye and then my right eye I can definitely notice that the object is lower and to the left when seen with my right eye. This happens at close distance, beyond 20 feet there may be no difference. When I wear my shooting glasses with the higher optical center than my everyday bifocals, the sight picture down the rib is different. Without any glasses I see more rib than when wearing my Decot shooting glasses. I would check the POI of your gun while wearing the shooting glasses and shooting at 13 yards from a bench rest. If the POI was centered left and right you should be good to go otherwise maybe the comb needs adjustment for cast.

4. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

Buck said "Why do people come on here wanting medical advice. Go back to the doctor who did you surgery."

The eye doc that did my surgery knows nothing about shooting and the needs of shooters. There are several eye doctors that read and post here that know our needs.

5. Harold

Harold TS Member

Hill Topper,

I also have cataracts that are "not ready." What this means is, it's not that bad, you can live with it.

Any time you have an operation, something can go wrong. Worst case, you could even lose the sight in an eye. Doctors are not really miracle workers as we would like to believe, and there are always risks.

I would venture to guess that my eyesight is worse than yours, because I also have a macular pucker in one eye after an operation for a torn retina. You can deal with it. Just increase the font size on your computer.

6. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

From my experience, opthalmologists as a general rule don't like performing any kind of eye surgery unless it is absolutely necessary. Why? Because the eye is so fragile. When I had my cataract done a few years ago, I told the doctor to take his time. He said " Nope, - the longer I'm in there, the worse it is for the eye."

Also, having cataract surgery may (underline) carry risks with it. In my case, a few years after the cataract surgery, my retina detached. That took 5 delicate procedures to repair and some here may recall I almost lost that eye.

If your dr says it's not ready, believe him.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I live in Canada and fully realize that my Alberta Health Care Insurance will pay for my Cataract surgery when my vision deteriorates enough to meet their criteria. My right eye ( right handed shooter ) still works fine and my left eye with the cataract only has blurred vision sometimes and both eyes open never seem to cause a problem. I solved my crossfiring problem with a Uni-Dot hooded fiber optic front bead. An interesting note is that my wife had Cataract surgery on both eyes a complete success and did not have to wait very long after her exam by our Opthamologist.

8. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I had hoped some of the Eye Docs that have posted in the past would reply here.

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I had the beginning of a cataract I started taking OCUVITE an over the counter vitamin loaded with LUTEN and it disappeared, just a suggestion that may let you avoid surgery.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longsot

10. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I see idoc is back and I hope he sees this thread.

11. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Gentlemen, There is already an artifical lens that will correct your vision. I had artifical lenses installed in april of 07. I could read the E on the chart with my right eye before surgery. My vision problem was due to an injury to my rt eye, just 40 years and older on my left eye. I actually quit shooting because of my vision in 1994. Started again this year after surgery. I no longer need glasses for anything I can see to read and far away without any help. I do shoot with one eye the rt one. If you are considering surgery you can email me at xxxbillgrill@charter.netxxx and I will try to tell you what I went thru and any problems I am having. It was not cheap, but I can see well.
    Also I believe that if you are shooting bad because of vision and want to shoot better it is only a matter of money. The risk is minimal. I walked out of the surgeons office and could see well. Bill

12. idoc

idoc Member

Ke,

Just ignore it. What you are testing is the horizontal and vertical (phoria) tendency for the eyes to turn up/down or in/out. This is a tendency and not an actual deviation. As long as your ability to compensate for that tendency is adequate there is no problem. Chances are it's always been there. Have you doctor measure it. Now your going to have everyone on the site alternately closing their eyes tonight LOL

Actually it does bring up a good point. When someone has difficulty crossing over and the dominance is strong for the shooting eye I have found the major reason is a high tendency for the eyes to turn in or out that under fatigue causes the dominate eye to suppress (the brain shuts it off). This will cause a cross-over. We always check muscle balance thoroughly in our shooter exams. As a shooter make sure and ask you doctor to check it. Most exams do not include it. Ke, yours sounds pretty normal...................Rich

13. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

Thanks idoc for the reply. Is their a specific name for the muscle balance test?

14. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Idoc...question: my former wife, 57, has been in not good health and recently had a "black hole" develop in one eye whit about 50% loss of vision. She was diagnosed by Opth. MD that both of her eyes have torn retinas. She has another appointment next week to discuss further. He told her she was not a good candidate for corrective surgery. Any idea as to how long she will retain her sight? Darn shame this woman (still have a warm spot for this woman as she and I raised 2 fine daughters) has had so many medical problems...she is on disability now (whopping $900. month) and it's her sole income. Warning about disability insurance plans: when time to collect benefits, be assured they will fight you all the way (damn Prudential) after taking your premiums for years. In her legal fight with Prudential trying to collect, she has lost her house, drivers license (due to lesion on her brain affecting her perception), and now the vision problem..cruel world sometimes. I may need to offer her a room as she has no family to help.

15. idoc

idoc Member

Ke,

The test for the tendency is called "Phoria"
    The test for the ability to compensate for the phoria is called "Ductions"

16. idoc

idoc Member

Jerry,

Not true............Rich

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

I really like the posts by Rich. I suspect he wishes that everyone would be as concerned about their eyes as shooters are. We want to understand eye function and health at a deeper level than the general public and Rich helps us a lot.

Jerry- Light goes to the retina only through the pupil (hole in the iris). This is a small section of the cornea. A surgeon will not cut into the eye through this area of the cornea. Fortunately, the cornea is one of the fastest growing tissues in the body and if we give it a chance, it can recover from damage rather quickly.

Pat Ireland

18. darr

darr Well-Known Member

You should try to find a Dr. that is a shooter.I shoot with mine every Tuesday night.He understands where a trapshooter or rifle shooter needs to see his best.He has perspective on your unique needs.I know it may not be easy but if you can find that Dr. he can answer those questions.He set me up with a rifle lense and trapshooting lenses.Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.