1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

question for eye Doc.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by quicky, Aug 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicky

quicky Member

Was curious if it was (1st) possible and, (2nd.) is it advisable for me to have my prescription shooting lenses ground to achieve 20/10 acuity? Would this help with target acquisition and focus? Thanks, Quicky

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I'm not an eye doc, but (1) NO, it isn't possible. (2) YES, if it were possible, why not? The entire premise of Rx lenses is to improve vision.

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Tom, if a Shooting Doc puts the optical centers in the correct spot(s) for your eyes with your head in shooting position AND gives you the right prescription, you are in for a very, very pleasant surprise. I've tried several times and I don't think you can simulate that using the dinky little test lenses the Optometrist or Ophthalmologist uses.

I was 20/10, 20/15 in college, naturally. Now the best they can correct to is 20/20, 20/15. Unfortunately, I'm right handed.

4. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

The correct answer is...every person has a natural limit that their best vision will go to. For some people that is 20/15 (sometimes 20/10) for others their best vision is only 20/20 or 20/25 (or worse). If you are lucky enough to attain 20/10 best acuity, then for your shooting glasses I would say, why not?

Unfortunately, very few people can attain 20/10 anyway and usually they don't need glasses to do it.

all the best,
    john

5. DocJim

DocJim Member

My ophthmologist essentially told me the same thing as tailbuster posted. He's a personal friend and understands what I want. He also stated that unless the lenses needed to be very thick that there was no point in moving the optical center to compensate for looking upward slightly when the gun is mounted.

Jim G

6. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Viaual acuity isn't really an issue. One of the shooters I have ever known personally had botched cataract surgery in both eyes, and could still run 25x25s all the time, and 100x100 often enough when he was in his seventies.

My vision without glasses is 20/200, and I can break almost as many targets with no glasses. They're just an orange blur, but that's good enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.