1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question For Engine/Truck Gurus?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by WoodsonEnt, Oct 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I have a question for the engine/truck gurus here...........

I have a Polaris Ranger 500 that I pull behind a truck about every weekend. My truck is a 2005 Chevy Silverado with 5.3 Vortec engine. The Ranger weighs 1000 pounds and my pull behind trailer is a 12 foot single axle (non-enclosed).

When going down interstate or highway, my truck does not pull my setup well. I have kept truck in overdrive while using the tow/haul button. I have also tried dropping the automatic transmission into 3 and pulled. Both seem to shift hard, run high RPM, and suck gas to around 13 miles per gallon.

Any suggestions on this? Is this normal? Looking for any input.

2. pretzel

pretzel TS Member

That sounds about right. The ranger is not heavy but is a lot of drag.

3. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Three friends all have had the same exact experience pulling Rangers to sporting shoots. All three bought the new Ford ecoboost over the last year and all three can not say enough good things about the Ford. Pulls it very easily and does so while still getting 15-17 mpg. I know my Tundra sucks gas terrible and shifts up and down all the time pulling my ranger. And i tow mine on an aluminum trailer. And so do two friends. The rangers just pull hard i suppose because of the roofs and front seat designs.

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I pulled a 7 x 16 enclosed cargo trailer (7' tall) with my 2004 GMC Sierra 1500 with the 5.3 liter engine. Had to pull it in 3rd to keep it from shifting constantly. It did not make any difference if it was loader or empty. The wind resistance was the problem. I got 13 mpg on a 850 mile trip. The good news is the Sierra withstood seven 1700 mile round trips! It would pull grades very well at 75 mph (3000 rpm) in third.

Jim Skeel<BR>P/W Dealer/Distributor

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

One thing that will raise your fuel mileage if it applies to your trailer, is to take the load ramp off and slide under the Ranger. It makes a 1 1/2 MPG when I remove my ramp. Jackie B.

6. butch's90t

butch's90t Member

I have a 2005 Chevy crew cab with same engine. I travel from IA to FL and back twice a year, 1200 miles. The truck is loaded and the small utility trailer weighs in around 1,000 lbs. At 65 mph in 3rd gear with tow/haul engaged we average between 15 to 17 mpg. Tow/haul mode causes transmission to engage at higher rpm and with a crisper shift. HarryC

7. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Actually 13 mpg isn't all that bad considering your load and wind resistance, we have a Ford 450 with the V10, pull a double axle 7000# weight capacity car hauler with an S10 on it and get 8 mpg. It's also in love with 3rd gear. OD is OK on flat roads with no wind, otherwise it's shifting all the time. The truck before was a Chevy with a 350 it was only a 3 speed automatic no OD and it got 11 pulling the same trailer but with a heavier full sized 78 Olds Delta 88. Would trade back to Chevy (will next time) but would lose too many$$$$ as it only has 40,000 miles on it. Ross Puls

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I'm running almost the exact setup - a 2004 GMC 1/2 ton with a 5.3l V8 and I pull a 16' flat trailer with as many as 3 polaris 500 quads. The 5.3 really doesn't have much power until you get into the 3,500 - 4,000 rpm range and then you will eat the gas up. What works best for me is to drop it into 3rd and take the hill a little slower than normal, usually around 60 mph just so the rpms don't get too high and you get tempted to shift. I don't like the 'trailer' shift mode as it seems like there is too much shifting and you tend to run really high rpms. I'll average about 15 mpg driving with this kind of load.

What you need to remember is these are 1/2 ton trucks that are designed for light duty. Pulling a couple of toys on the trailer is about the limit for them. If you want more then you need a heavy duty (3/4 or one ton) set up with a bigger engine or a diesel but you probably won't save fuel going that way.

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Dodge then get in the passing lane ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Look up the definition of Dodge in the dictionary. It simply says veer,avoid,stay away from. Enough said.

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

LBZ or later Duramax engine and Allison Six speed.

12. RLC323

RLC323 Member

13 mpg is not bad considering. Sounds like you have it right Tow Haul on in OD lets the transmission find the right gear for the load. Drop into 3rd if you encounter terrain or wind that is causing a lot of up/down shifts.

Since you are not pulling near the load limit as far as weight I would experiment with leaving Tow/Haul off altogether. Tow/Haul seems to just change the transmission shift points for getaway, and allow higher revs before shifts.

If your trailer has brakes, probably not with a single axle, but if it does make sure you have them adjusted right and that they are not dragging.

13. pretzel

pretzel TS Member

You might look into a different chip in the ECU . We have had luck with diesels changing them . I dont know if it would help on a gas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.