1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

question for diesel people

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dan.martin, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dan.martin

dan.martin TS Member

i just recently got a 2004 f350 automatic and was wondering what kind of chip or programmer you would reccomend thanx in advance

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Dan,

Leave the 6.0 alone. They have enough problems stock let alone turning them up any. If you need more power, sell the Ford and buy a Duramax!

Goose2,

By '04 they all had 6.0's.

ec90t

3. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

Yup, remember your warranty is out the window if you install a chip and they find it in there.A buddy of mine had one in his, and took it in for a driveline problem, they saw the chip and told him to bad so sad, no warranty coverage. Not sure whats gonna come of it.

4. fordfan347

fordfan347 Member

get the edge with attitude monitor, by the way my 04 6.ol has had a chip on it since new. I pull a race car trailer with it and have had zero problems, and I have blown the doors off of more than one d-max.You can listen to second hand opinons or listen to my first hand experience. Brandon

5. acre44

acre44 Member

I have smoked many a 6.0 on the way to shows, shoots, vacation, etc with my DuraMAX. That IS first hand experience or you can believe the wannabes.

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

cobra4.6,

My info is first hand. I seen way too many buyback 6.0's. There have been a couple from the horse crowd in my area alone. Another buddy has had his '06 in the shop 5 times. 3 times were for turbo's and the other two were for overboost. His truck only has 20,000mi on it.

I'm not saying there aren't good 6.0's out there, but the problems with the 6.0 are well documented!

I know of three D-max's in my area that are getting 23mpg empty and 16 pulling trailers. Two of them are 3/4 ton 4X4 crews and 1 is a crewcab dually 4X4. They all have 3.73 gears and Allison auto's.

ec90t

7. fordfan347

fordfan347 Member

I didnt mean to upset anyone , just wanted to pass along my experiences.

8. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

I have a d'max. I keep it stock. But....if you want to play, why not...but if I were going down that road, the only company I'd trust is Gale Banks. Banks products are the best proven re. keeping egt down and not hurthing things. However, with that said, I'd not recommend chipping anything..the trans is the weak link, then egt's hurt, then overpressure has been known to blow stock intercoolers and so on and so forth. But if you MUST...call Banks.

9. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

dan.martin, I own a '04 6.0 F-350 4 door 4WD 6 speed. Never had anything go wrong with it. Maybe I just got a good one who knows. Every heavy truck has problems...Ford, Chevy, Dodge. Go on any Ford, Chevy or Dodge forum and you will get an idea of the things that go wrong with the particular brand. I personally put a Predator programmer on my truck at about 5 or 6000 miles. I have just a few miles shy of 40,000 now. My predator offers the 40 horsepower (tow safe), 60 HP or 100 HP. I've had it on 60 HP a few times (not for very long), I usually leave it in the 40 (extra) HP mode. I've NEVER had in the 100HP mode as I don't have extra guages (exhaust gas temp, oil pressure, etc.) I don't romp on the truck (at least very often) and don't try to "blow the doors off any other brand of vehicle. The best milage I've gotten (40HP) is 19.69MPG, empty, on the highway (about 70 MPH). Towing a 16 ft. cargo trailer loaded with 3 full size Harley's milage will drop to about 11-12MPG depending on terrain. Normally I get 14-15 MPG around town. Winter blend fuel is slightly worse. Diesels have PLENTY of torque to tow anything you can hook up to it. I don't think the programmer gives me any extra milage per gallon, but more power. Plenty of units out there. Just like anything, do your homework, research and ask questions. If you goose up (high) the HP and romp on it you'll pull (stretch) the head bolts or blow something. Be wary of the add-on "boxes" (usually under the hood.) Don't get anything that you can't remove easily. Thats why I went with the Predator. You can remove (put back to stock) and remove ALL electronic evidence deep within the CPU of it EVER being there. JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

10. JB Logan Co. Ohio

Sorry for the long post. JB-you know the rest

11. whos your daddy

whos your daddy TS Member

When you boys grow up , then you get the cummins. I've had a powerstroke/ what a joke and the dura max is somekind of jap crap

12. JB Logan Co. Ohio

No offense wyd but I just don't like the noise, I'm sorry, the sound of a Dodge.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

13. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

What do they say...Duramax is the hot rod, Ford is the plushest and maybe the strongest truck chassis outside of the engine and trans, Cummins is the best pure tow vehicle due to torque down low. Best all around: Duramax/Allison package.

14. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

Well...I'm surprised the gas works "better" than the diesel when pulling big loads or not so big loads. My classic '07 'Max pulled our 4500 lb. (wet weight) trailer back Joshua Tree to L.A. last night and the computer said 14.8 mpg. Of course, that's an easy run, and I cruised at an indicated 61 mph. Now going to Joshua, into headwinds and up some hills, got 13.0 mpg. So true; "your mileage will vary"...

But..my diesel is the LBZ; will run on any diesel, not just he ultra low sulfur fuels that are now required. And when we were in Juarez Az. in December, there was NO ultra low diesel available. So the LMM diesel engine has less fuel choice. Still, my mantra is: "Real trucks don't have spark plugs"....

....and yes, now more than ever, it is a hard choice between the 6.7 Dodge Cummins or the '08 'Max...

15. BMC

BMC Member

Dan, call these guys.
    http://www.dieselperformance.com/ford/index.php

16. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

FORD or CHEVY or DODGE............KRIEGHOFF or PERAZZI or KOLAR..........It seems everyone has an opinion , and their personal favorite. That is their perogative, for this is still (I think) a free country.

I own an '02 F-250 Powerstroke Diesel ; 7.3L ; 4-speed automatic transmission. I bought it "used" -- privately ; from a meticulous individual, known for taking excellent care of his vehicles. He had installed a computer "chip", and used the truck for towing a 9700lb 5th-wheel trailer.

From everything I have read or heard, the 7.3 Powerstroke is still the best engine that FORD ever placed in their diesel pick-ups. While I have no personal experience with the 6.4 or the 6.0, I have heard more "bad" than "good" reports about them. My diesel mechanic is considered a FORD "guru" in my area, and he has nothing but praise for the 'ol 7.3s. The only drawback to them is that the 7.3 would never pass any emission inspection testing.

When I took the truck for service for the first time after purchasing it, I asked him to do a "bumper-to-bumper" inspection for me. The very FIRST thing he recommended was to UN-INSTALL the performance chip. It is his opinion that they should not be used without an exhaust modification. From there -- I agree that the greatest danger is to the transmission. As was stated in an earlier post, it tends to be the "weakest link"..............

I am not even going to debate which manufacturer makes the "best" or "toughest" or "quickest" diesel truck. Your original question was about installing a preformance chip. The soundest advice I can recommend is to do your homework, and do not do ANYTHING that might void your vehicle warranty.

Today's high-end trucks cost a small fortune -- not only to purchase, but to repair -- as well. Don't create any un-necessary headaches for yourself.

17. M-16

M-16 TS Member

Edge attiude is a safe choice and has it's own pyrometer plus it alters the readings to your computer so it can be removed easy [15 min] and doesn't void your warranty. Used them on my 07 and 99-7.3 and loved them both. Don't buy exhaust just replace the muffler same EGT with stock with muffler change over a Banks system. Plus the edge reads codes and does a lot of other stuff. Safe bet read up on it. Stay away from flash programers if you want your warranty

18. jsa3107

jsa3107 TS Supporters TS Supporters

We as a company have owned all 3
    1997 was our 1st ford 7.3 350 190,000 on it and we still use it every day been a great truck not much power though
    1999 Dodge for you cummins lovers your right that is a awsome motor but a junk for a truck we had that truck and in 70,ooo miles 2 trannys 2 sets of front brakes and many many other problems
    2002 ford 350 nice truck but many quality problems including a rear main seal leak at 92,000 that they couldnt fix
    2005 duramax and a 2006 duramax both nice trucks the 2006 is a king cab that I tow my race trailer with the trailer is 9000 plus pounds and pulls it the best of any truck I have ever towed with towing mile is about 11 through I was hoping for better every day driving is about 16 again I was hoping for better
    as far as comfort the 2006 dura max is the best ride
    If it were me I wouldnt chip anything I believe it will hurt consumption of fuel and if you want more power or GO just buy one that gives it to you from the factory
    It also can be an issue for warranty work
    As always they are all just as good as you take care of them .......

19. shadow

shadow Active Member

480,000 miles. Vast majority of it pulling 36 foot travel trailers for FEMA. NOT ONE problem with my Dodge Cummins. When I sold it the oil pressure was exactly the same as whe it was brand new.

If you want a nice comfortable ride, get a Ford. If you desire a cast iron block with aluminum heads buy a Chevy. Need a TRUCK that will WORK for you go Dodge/Cummins.

20. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

We have 2 GMC Duramax diesels 3/4 ton pickups in our fleet. 1 has 160,000, the other 100,000 miles. No breakdowns to date. We pull utility trailers w/ uniloaders and lifts on them to job sites. On the road empty 20mpg, city 16mpg, pulling a load about 14 mpg. One is my daily driver. Best truck I've ever had, and I average 50,000 miles/year. Quiet, great ride, all kinds of power. My dogs love the Allison.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.