1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for Delaware Trapshooters

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Joe G. NJ, Feb 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe G. NJ

Joe G. NJ TS Member

I was in Dover,Delaware this Friday on business. I was following my "Mapquest" directions.

I was on Route 1 South and had to make a right on "TRAP SHOOTERS" road. I passed a trap range, I think it had about five trap houses. The place had no name on it and it appeared to be abandoned. (?).

I saw that it faced some wet lands. Is this place closed down, if so was it because of a wetlands violation or what? Shame if it is closed, it looked like a good location for a trap range.

Just curious, thanks.
    Joe G.

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Joe,

That club was named: Silver Lake Gun Club. 8 program traps plus 2 practice traps.

It was a great place to shoot, probably the best background on the east coast. There were a few reasons the club closed, the club did not own the property and a death in the owners family caused problems. Shooter apathy, as in no volunteer's....old equipment and no money for new, etc, etc, etc.

The family has offered the DTA (Delaware Trapshooting Assoc) the property again, but we do not have the funds to get it going. Plus, as the shotfall would be over a wetland, it would not be a wise investment as the EPA/DNREC could shut it down at anytime!

Curt - Delaware

3. Joe G. NJ

Joe G. NJ TS Member

Thanks Curt for the reply. Like I said it is a shame, it may not be wise to try to reopen with the environmental issues.

Joe G.

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Rick, et. al.,

Delaware is a small state (some counties in PA are larger) with a small shooter base and budget, so it would be fiscally irresponsible to invest large sums of money into something that can be shut down at any given time by the state and/or Fed's. Sort of like MD spending $1 million to re-do Thurmont properly, a very, very long payback with no guarantees.

If we wanted to open another club or attempt to have a "Homegrounds", our best bet would be to strike a deal with the Dover Air Force Base.....they have plenty of land which will not be developed or encrouched upon. But that's for another day and another generation!

Like I said earlier, Silver Lake has one of the best backgrounds on the east coast and would make a great place for shooting.....even Skeeter's would love it!

Curt

5. docrtaylor

docrtaylor TS Member

along the same line do you guys know if there are any clubs that shoot trap registered or not near Rehoboth Beach area? There used to be one listed on the ATA site but i dont see it anymore.
    docrtaylor

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

The closet trap club from Rehoboth would be Synepuxent Rod & Gun Club, Berlin, Maryland. The club is about 30 - 45 minutes from Rehoboth, depending on traffic. Their 1st registered shoot of the year is March 11th.

Check out MD's website for further info.

Curt - Delaware

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I haven't been there in many years, but our downstate shooters seem to enjoy it.

Curt

8. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

Here is a link

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.