1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for Clubs that use high power radar guns:

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cottondoctor, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

The ATA rule (September 2009 ATA Official Rules Section XIII - F)states that if a high power gun is used, it is to be used at the 16 yard line on a straight away target with the gun held horizontal (not at the top of the height cross bar). The rules go on to state that using this method – the handicap and/or singles target speed “is a minimum of 42 MPH”.
    The operative word here is: “minimum”. I have heard it said that the speed should be 42 MPH, +/- 0.5 MPH – but that is not what the rules say – the rules say a “minimum of 42 MPH”. Do you check 3 or 4 targets and be sure they are all over 42 MPH or do you use the average speed of a test group………..a strict interpretation of “minimum” would mean that no target in your test group have a speed less than 42 MPH.

Questions:
    How do you (or your club) set targets with a radar gun (what speed)?
    At your club, how far does a 9 foot, 42 MPH target travel – measured to grade?

And – if you have a high-powered radar gun (Decatur etc) and measure a speed of 42 MPH at the 16 yard line – what speed will your gun registered from just behind the 27 yard line?

Thanks for your response -

2. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

We set targets using a Prospeed which is a medium power radar gun at between 42mph-43mph. As long as you set the trap for straight away targets it will not vary much between targets or between 16yd and 27yd. I have not calculated a std dev formally but Neil probably has and hopefully will chime in.

Regards

W&W

3. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

42 mph +/-.5mph is the old rule. The new rule is "minimum of 42 mph"

4. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

PhD, With that gun you shouldn't have much variation in target's thrown from the same machine. IMO, if you're using a radar gun properly, there is not a need for a 50 yard stake. Even before radar guns, I've had shooters complain they "weren't shooting that field until it was adjusted. They're way short" You go down and look and they are short by 18" max?? We have met the enemy and it is us. LOL. Good luck, the good gun is well worth the extra money. It makes your job quicker, easier, and more consistant. Good luck, Bob

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I set targets between 42-43 MPH. Some clubs set targets early in the morning at 41 MPH assuming that as the machine and air warm up the target will increase 1.5 MPH. I check the targets during the day while squads are shooting.

In my limited measurements, a 43 MPH target will travel 49.5 to 50.5 yards. When the wind is blowing, no telling how far the targets will travel.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

high power radar guns