1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for BT99 Experts

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Golani, Apr 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Golani

Golani TS Member

I like the older, fixed choke BT99s. Recently I picked one up with some markings I haven't seen before.
    The left side of the barrel is marked "Browning 12Ga. 2 3/4"". The right side is marked "Miroku Firearms Mfg. Co. Kochi, Japan". The floor plate is marked "B C Miroku". OK, so far nothing really unusual. We know that Miroku makes the BT99 and I know that some came in under Miroku's name and some under Charles Daly prior to Browning.
    Here is what has me puzzled. Under the forearm it says "Aero Distributors Corp. Seattle, Wash. - Importer". Who were they? Did they import Browning marked BT99s before Browning did. Very puzzling. The choke is marked -++. There is no use of the * that Browning uses to mark chokes.
    Any ideas as to the story behind what I believe is a very early BT99?

2. mike b.

mike b. Member

What's the serial # ?

3. Golani

Golani TS Member

Serial number is 112XX. All numbers, no letters.

4. Golani

Golani TS Member

Yes, all of the serial numbers match.

5. mike b.

mike b. Member

Tried some research and dead ended on all. Looks like you have a pre-browning bt-99. Did you try an email to Miroku?

6. Golani

Golani TS Member

I would agree with you Mike, except the left side of the barrel is marked Browning.
    I've read that Browning started importing the BT99 in 1970 but a few came in in 1969. I am wondering if this is one of those "few". I have a 1970 BT99 and the stock has a beautiful reddish color. The stock on the gun described above has that same red color. That's what makes me think it's an early BT.
    The puzzling thing is the "Aero" engraving on the barrel, under the forearm.
    I thought someone on TS might know. Perhaps not.

7. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

You may want to contact Glen Jensen, the Browning Historian, about the history of the gun. You can find his contact information on the Browning website or through Browning Customer Service.

DoubleAuto

8. Golani

Golani TS Member

Thanks, DoubleAuto. I spoke with Mr. Jensen. He said the gun is a Miroku, imported by Aero, and marked Browning as they felt this would help them sell. He said it was a very, very early BT99. Thank you for the idea.

9. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

How about a few detailed pics? We like pics...

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

miroku bt-99 importer

miroku made bt-99