1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for 27 yard shooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Play Dead, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Play Dead

Play Dead Member

When I started shooting ATA in 1978, 27 yard shooters wore or displayed their 27 yard pins like a badge of honor. I suppose this was because a small percentage of shooters had achieved this goal relative to the number who participated in the ATA at that time. Nowadays, there are many more shooters at the back fence and it is a rare to see a 27 yard pin affixed to a hat, vest or shooting bag.

I still consider it quite a personal accomplishment to receive your first punch to the 27. Has the AA-27-AA pin become the new high standard of accomplishment? For all of you 27 yarders out there, what are your thoughts on displaying your 27 yard pins?

Play Dead

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I lost mine around 20 hats ago!!

3. alf174

alf174 Member

Nope, I'd probably lose it too.

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I lost mine as well. Oh well!

5. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Mine is sitting with the AA27AA pin in a small box with all the 100 pins. Along with the STATE handi and Singles pins. These are pins that are really hard to come by and I really don't want to lose them.

Rick in MT

6. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I do not wear mine because I do not want to loose it.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I keep mine in the safe with a few other prized possessions ... Its right there with the pin I got from the Mason's Grand Poobah, Big Kahoonah when I went to a 32nd degree and joined the Shrine ... I had a shooter ask me how much that pin cost, I told him I couldn't imagine and really do not want to know ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

With the new target angles the 2 hole and the 48 yard targets they have become an everyday thing those rules took away the skill that used to be required, they dumbed down the handicap prestige. There are so many shooters that are sitting on the 27 yard line that do not have the averages to stay there.

The advent of the voice calls, 1250fps shells, 2 hole 48 yard targets has taken away the challenge and aided in perfection.

You did not see golf move the pro tees closer to the greens, or shorter distances for the Belmont or other horse races,

You did see restrictor plates on race cars, look what that did to auto racing.

Trapshooting ATA Targets is now fluff targets, skill has been reduced to such a degree it almost does not enter the equation now.

Selling spots to shoot w/ shooter, pay for their shells, pay for their meal.

In early days of trapshooting you could not pick your squad mates, you had to look at the entry board to see what trap you started on and who was shooting with you.

Something needs to be done/ throw away the rule book of today, go back the rule book as it stood in the early 70s.

I will get off my soap box now.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

And that's why, Play Dead, you see so few on display. The ATA issued a recall on all pins issued after fluff-targets took over and trapshooting no longer required skill and when they returned them to the shooters with the asterisk stamp next to the "27" a lot of people thought they had lost some of their significance.

Delegates were charged with confiscating any which hadn't been corrected and I just threw them away when I got them - I supposed that's another reason they have disappeared.

Neil

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

In general, PlayDead, the folks that have made the 27 have also won a bunch of other stuff along the way and don't really want to flash a bunch of bling. You won't find the 25, 50, 75, 100 straight patches on their vests either. What you might see is a shirt or hat with a certain gun maker logo or ammo brand or perhaps something from their home club. All the bling trophies stay home.

But the thing is they don't need the bling because everyone that plays the game knows the ability when they see it.

11. Play Dead

Play Dead Member

I think in general,displaying any pin on a vest, hat or bag is a somewhat old fashioned habit. However, I always felt the 27 yard pin had a greater significance and should not be diminished by target setting rule changes or faster ammo. In fact, the good shooters that wore the pin were an inspiration to those who had not yet achieved the goal of reaching the 27 yard line. Am I wrong in suggesting that years ago it was commonplace to see a shooter wearing their pin?

Wolfram also raises a good point about better shooters not displaying their "bling". Maybe it is not cool anymore.

It is quite a handsome pin. Unique and strikingly different from other pins awarded for accomplishments. Congratulations to all who have earned one.

Play Dead

[​IMG]

12. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Geeez Neil, I was wondering when I got that recall notice what it was all about. Now I know. Gary, do you ever get tired of beating that horse?

Rick in MT

13. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Rick, the horse has been decomposing for years, the Grizzlies, the wolves, the coyotes and even the magpies have worked the carcass over and left it as there is nothing left. But Gary will not let go.....................kinda like high school sports when you are in the twilight of life............it just does not matter anymore, how it was and what "you" did.........move on. Scott

14. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Neil you are not going to tell are you because I ignored the recall and didn't turn mine in.

Longsh?t I see you are just tearing up those fluff targets with your super scores and winning bunches of money with your great skill and ability. I just don't see how you stay on the, which is it the 21 or 22 with your ability.

Ric it is the only kind of horse he can beat. Same BS just a different day.

Don

15. running bear

running bear Member

Longshot never misses a chance to bash the ATA. He doesn't shoot very many registered targets anymore.

Buck

16. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

wondering what % of ATA shooters have achieved the 27.

I dispute LS's claim of 96.38%

17. Scootermac50

Scootermac50 Active Member

45 years of shooting and 3 are over 90% average. That stuff must be easy!

18. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Mr Longshot, what year did you receive your 27yd pin? How many consecutive years did you stay on that yardage without a reduction notice?

19. us820

us820 Active Member

I don't fear pins or fancy guns.I fear farmer looking guys with guns with all the bluing worn off.

20. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I got mine waaaay back when it meant something!

Don't wear it anymore because due to old age and infirmities ... I am back down with the knobby knee kids and perfumed ladies!