1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question: Flying guns into California

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by clayshooter555, Nov 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clayshooter555

clayshooter555 TS Member

A relative from California bought a used trap gun in my state on a face to face sale. Now he is flying home to California.

Any weird stuff demanded by the laws in California or can he just check the gun at the airport and head home like every other state.

2. krieghoff80

krieghoff80 Member

i'm in calif. .. just pick it up....go home and enjoy

3. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

Krieghoff80,

you should not hand out legal advice.

Clayshooter555,

Check your PM.

4. browntown

browntown TS Member

I don't want to hand out legal advice either, but I'm pretty sure it is illegal to sell a gun to a resident of another state in a f2f deal. At the very least you would want to do a ffl-ffl transfer I think.

But I do a lot of f2f gun transactions here in Oregon, and my understanding is that you can not sell a gun to a resident of another state.

Again, I'm no lawyer. Best to call a gun dealer or sherriff's office and ask in the hypothetical.

5. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I have brought several guns into CA, via commercial airlines. If it is checked in correctly upon departure, I have never had a problem picking the gun up. I don't believe the receiving end checks the gun at all.

JON

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

You can have a huge problem- with the jurisdiction ( that might be the city that the airport is located in)

Dont accept legal advice that you read here-- that you wont have a problem

regards from Iowa

Gene

7. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

if the gun gets stolen and is used in a crime (and is recovered), the seller will be contacted by law enforcement via the serial number trace. The seller will most definetly tell LE that he sold the gun to someone out of state, face to face. The seller as well as the buyer will be reprimanded for sure....if your relative decides to keep his mouth closed and not tell anyone (i.e., not do a proper transfer), that's the risk he takes. If his gun gets stolen and he notifies the police, his name won't come up as being the most recent owner of the gun, the seller's name will pop up (assuming the seller did a proper transfer to buy the gun before). how are you going to explain that to the police?

hopefully your relative does a proper transfer with the gun he bought...

8. slodsm

slodsm Member

Servn, there is no firearms trace as we don't have gun registration in this country. That is a very often repeated myth. The atf can call the manufacturer who can give them the distributer, they can in turn give the gun shop it was shipped to and if still in business the gun shop can provide the name of the original owner of the firearm. After that point, its a dead end no matter if the gun was sold 2 times privately of 30 times through ffl's. The gun trace myth was created by the Brady whackos to try to show states with looser laws create crime in states with more restrictive laws.

Jeremy

9. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

slod: what you describe above is what effectively is called a "trace"....you are tracing the gun back to the original point of sale by following the serial number. Hence there is a registration of firearms (e.g. the FFL dealer's log book) at any legal point of sale involving a FFL dealer. As long as there is a log book maintained by your FFL of all firearms bought and sold, the log book is a registration book that can be accessed by law enforcement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

flying firearms to california

flying guns california