1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question, Federal primer to Fiocchi primer

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bill Roberts, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

I'm currently loading a Federal 209A into a Federal hull, I want to switch to a Fiocchi 209(616) the reason price! I already know the size of primers are different. Receipe only shows Federal primer. It's a turkey shoot load and I'm below the high range.

What I want to ask you guys is what will happen to the load, slower, faster or nothing? Thx

2. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Once you use the Fiocchi primer, you will have to dedicate those hulls to Fiocchi primers as the Feds. have a tendency to fall out because the primer hole is now a little bigger.

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

If you are shooting in cold weather.. stay with the Federals.. Other than that.. without your loading data..I would not suggest ANY change..

4. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

I have shot a pot full of the 616 primers and just switched to the Fed.209A for cold weather shooting. I have not had any primers fall out or any trouble for that matter. I have no idea what will happen in your load because you did not mention what the components are. All the best.

J.F.

5. Bill Roberts

Jack, I use 30 grains of 4756, 1 3/8 oz of shot, red claybuster 1138 wad loaded into either a gold medal plastic or top gun. I've been using Federal 209A want to switch to Fiocchi 616 (price). Wondering if I will take a hit on speed?

Thx

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Stay away from Fiocchi in the colder months, unless you like a lot of bloopers.

7. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Bill, the Fed 209A is suppossed to be about the hottest primer out there, or so I have heard. I shoot Fiocchis and Cheddites and think they are pretty comparable. I don't know about the cold weather effect. I would try just a few over a chronograph or at a shoot to see what they do, before you jump in with both feet. Also you could put your reloads in the fridge or the freezer for about a half an hour to see how they will shoot in the cold.

John

8. TD1958

TD1958 Member

I have shot thousands of the Fiochhi primers here in Ohio winters for years and guys I got to tell you either some of you are full of sh-- or most of you are. I shoot nothing but 27 yard protections, ani oaklies, all the games and have never experienced what you are having trouble with. yes after quite a few loads the primers get loose but you know after a few they need to get throwed away anyhow.Just my opinion based on actual use not Myth. Tim Dearth

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

TD1958

As far as cold weather performance with the Fiocchi 616 primers are concerned, some loads work ok and MANY do not. I usually test my loads by putting a half box or so in the freezer for a day and keeping the other half out at room temp. I then run them over my chronographs to see how they do. The Fiocchi 616 is not a favorite of mine for cold weather performance or consistency. You may or may not notice the difference, but variations of over 100 fps are not uncommon when cold. Some are far worse. Some powders or lighter loads may give more trouble than others. My usual recommendation is to stick with what you know that works. Test a box if trying something for the first time. AND Always use reliable data for the components you are loading.

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Bill Roberts

Regardless of any physical size differences, etc., you need to be sure the data you are using is safe with the compnents you intend to load. If you do not have data for the EXACT load and components, call the powder company and get their take on it. I usually do not experiment with the heavier loads and will load them EXACTLY as written. Is it worth a pennny a shell to take a risk of creating an unsafe load? Is it worth a penny or so to take the chance on creating a load that does not perform well? I'd stick with the Federal Primers if those are the ones listed in the data. If it isn't broken, why fix it?

11. Bill Roberts

Thx guys!

12. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Bill:

When you are shooting a "games" load there is probably some money on the line.

When you are shooting from the parking lot or at a missed bird, you do not want any doubt in your mind about the load you are using. You have got to have confidence in your shell.

Shoot the best cold weather primer, Federal.

If you win a match or two, the winnings will probably make up the difference in cost between a Federal and a Fiocchi primer.

Ed Ward

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Shoot warm shells. Problem solved. I use disposable hand warmers when it's really cold (under 15) and keep my shells in the R.H. pocket wlong with my trigger finger.

I never had a Fiocchi fail from cold. I did have some fail under different conditions due to a particular gun's firing pin.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

fioccho 209 primers in louisville ky