1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question: Doubles Etiquette with a Semi-auto

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skarloey, Mar 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skarloey

skarloey TS Member

When is the correct time to close the action on my semi-auto when shooting doubles? I want to be safe but also don't want to hold up the squad.

In singles or handicap is it considered improper to close the action anytime other than after the report from the shooter on my left?

What about ejected hulls? Are these a breach of etiquette? Does anyone here find them a nuisance?

All comments appreciated. Thank you.

2. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

For the first four years I shot a 1100 TC for doubles and closed the bolt and put the second shell in the gun on the report of the shooter two posts to my left and had the gun on safe. When my turn came I mounted the gun and took the saftey off then called for the birds. As far as the spent hulls go I have a knock down beed and the hulls landed infront of my feet. I still shoot singles and cap with the same gun and have a shell catcher and have never had any complaints about spent hulls.

3. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

No one really care when you close the action as long as the gun is pointed down range and not effecting voice callers. Dumping cases on the shooter to the rights legs and feet insures they will not squad with you again. Whacking the stock of his P or K gun will cause an arguement. Whacking it a second time may be hazardous and cause a nose bleed.

Maltz

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

You should close your action when the first shooter after you've loaded your gun fires at the target so you don't set off the voice release.

5. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Get a shell catcher for Single and Handicap and if you don't have a knock down pin have one installed and then make sure it works before going out on the line. If it's to long the gun will jam, if to short it will still bounce them off the guy on the right.

Each shooter has to find his own timing on closing the action so not to set off the other targets. It's not only an auto. I have a break open that makes a sound that sets them off so I have to time mine also.

Ajax

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The Texas Yankee has it right. What you want to do is get your gun loaded without disturbing the shooter on either side of you. You also don't want to set off CVRs when you close the bolt. That is why you need to close the bolt just after the person two or three posts down the line from you shoots.

If you do this correctly it becomes second nature and you will not be a problem on the squad.

As far as the ejected hulls, if they are making it to the shooter next to you then look into the knock down pin modification. My 391 Beretta pitches the hulls forward of the line so it never was a problem.

7. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Winchester once made a removable deflector for their Super x that dropped the hulls just ahead of your feet. I'm surprised no one ever continued producing the same type for other brands.

Big Jack

8. missed some

missed some TS Member

I have shot on squads of people with autos, never paid any attention. had a few bounce off me and my gun, guess my gun is made different, no dings or scratches at all (from shells). I didn't pay attention, and as I wasn't shooting when it happened---------no problem. mark crist

9. darincraft

darincraft Member

I don't know I had my leg broke once by a flying mortar shell that was ejected from an 1100. Those things will take a limb off and if your not careful it will ding someones stock. But only the stock of a "K" or a "P" gun. If the guy to your right is shooting anything else nothing happens...lol.

I have alway shot an auto and I have made it second nature that when the guy to the left of me fires I close my bolt immediately. I have never had a complaint, but then again I've never stood next to a professional with a K gun...lol

Darin

10. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

I'd think that unless the shooter to your right is a lefty, it would make little difference. I mean really, a spent shell flying at you is going to bother you ?

I'm going to have to try and get squadded with an auto loader to my left next time and see what the fuss is all about.

11. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

This is why I'll try not to squad next to a shooter without a shell catcher:

Ding.jpg
    This ding was put in my stock by a flying hull. I'm a lefty so, my body doesn't protect the stock from the hull. I don't have a million dollar stock, but I don't want dings in my gun either.

The cost of the gun is irrelevant. It's just not courteous.

12. missed some

missed some TS Member

wow, have hunted all kinds of briar patches, and shot with people who have bounced shells off me, my gun, my speaker stand. Have never seen a wound like that. is it balsa??

13. pdq

pdq Member

I just bought an 1100 that I'd like to use for doubles.

What is a "knock down pin" mentioned above, and where can you buy them?

Thanks,

Pete

14. wolfram

The knock down pin is a modification to the barrel, Usually a small bump or stud is welded into the barrel ahead of the ejector. See Tronspace.com for examples and pricing.

This modification usually requires tuning for specific ammunition so you may not want to do this on a barrel that you intend to use for all manner of shooting. But if you intend to use the barrel stricly for target shooting it is a very good modification to have and will keep you from becoming the guy no-one want to shoot next to.

15. missed some

missed some TS Member

pdq you can stand next to me anytime you want. my stocks are made of wood, if it gets a ding i know you never intended for it to happen, and in the real world shit happens. A lot of times when wanna be good shooters don't shoot so good it is easy to blame others on the squadLOL. I went out in the backyard this morning and stood my seitz gun up against a tree, shot my 1100 trap gun, my 20 ga. 1100, and a superX3, shot a full box of 12's and a partial of 20's. Not once did it make a scratch or dent! and I was able to hit it most of the time!! Maybe that should be a competition, see if you can hit a gun with your empties!! have a nice day mark

16. mooney

mooney Member

Ugly ding Rastof; it never should have happened. Want to shoot a semi-auto for doubles? Great. Just make sure that the ejected shells do not come near another shooter on the line. This is just a matter of common courtesy. If you don't care about your fellow shooters and feel as it is your "right" to exhibit such boorish behavior, either shoot on a squad with all semi-auto shooters or shoot by yourself. Just my opinion but I think the ATA should make it mandatory that shells ejected froma semi-auto should be deflected and if they refuse to address the issue, individual gun clubs should make it policy in their programs that if empty ejection is not controlled the competetitor will be asked to leave.

Mooney-Glenn Wedding

17. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

What is more dangerous a release trigger or a semi auto throwing empty hulls? Maybe one man squading is the next great idea.

18. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Anything that interferes with or has potential for damaging either another's property or person should, logically, be avoided by any and all caring shooters. To deny the fact that damage is caused by a hull's base hitting a wooden stock or metal rib is born out of selfishness or ignorance.

19. missed some

missed some TS Member

man you guys must shoot with some "soft" guns.

20. wolfram

No matter how a person feels about their shotgun no one has the right to fling hulls at it. Doesn't matter if we are talking about a custom piece of AAA wood on a K gun or a piece of birch in a Mossberg, it is someone else's property and proper etiquette always involves repecting other people's property.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.