1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question - concrete height vs "throwing surface"

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DTrykow, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

He everyone: I got approval for a new trap field at our club. Actually replacing an existing field that was pouring in the 70's. My question is trying to verify the ATA spec of: "It is recommended that the throwing surface (throwing arm or plate) of the trap machine be on the same level as that of Post 3 and the target height setting pad." As everyone knows the plate isn't level. So do I measure off of where the target sits on the plate? or where the arm rests behind the target??. Somewhere else? Thanks, Dave T.

2. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Question - concrete height vs

Target in arm cocked position would be the most accurate.

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Are you replacing the trap house and/or trap machine, too? If you are installing or reinstalling a PAT trap, the manual (available online) has instructions as to the proper installation. Mark

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you favor a little lower vs a little higher you will get targets that show a little more face which is a lot better that shooting at the edge of the target. HMB

5. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Mark: Trap house is staying and our Pat-Trap is the newer one. Field will be verified and laid out based on the trap house position. I will check their manual. Dave T.

6. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

The Pat Trap manual gives measurements inside the trap house and doesn't correlate throwing arm height to concrete height. Which I think it should because it's a pretty important measurment. Dave T.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The target should be at the same level as the concrete. The end of the arm would be lower, the attachment point higher. None of that matters. It's about where the target sits. I suppose you could fudge it lower as suggested, I doubt if it would make any significant improvement.

HM

8. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Ditto, halfmile is correct.

9. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

I've shot targets in six states this year and can honestly say that I don't think anyone knows how to properly position a trap in the house. In fact it's easy to see the variance from field to field at many clubs.

10. Neal Crausbay

Neal Crausbay Member

The old Winchester traphouse construction guide, from which most of the traphouses in the U.S. were built, indicated a platform for the base of the machine as being 12” below the level of post 3. The machines were the 1524 handset and the pivot of their throwing arm was 17” above its base or bottom. This puts the pivot of the arm 5” above the grade of post 3.

The platform for the base of the machine was also offset to the left so that when the arm rotated forward, the point where the target left the arm would be in the approximate center of the traphouse. I don’t have a copy in front of me to refer to but I believe the print indicated that the center of the mounting bolt pattern be located 12” to the left of the center line of the house. Keep in mind this left of center measurement was for the 1524 machine.

Personally, I would not build a house with the target setting any higher than the above measurement, but perhaps slightly lower. The main thing would be to have all the houses the same at the club.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.