1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question BT99 Conventional vs Monte Carlo

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kimv, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kimv

kimv TS Member

Is a BT99 with a conventional stock a trap gun or is it meant for skeet or sporting clays? Since I am looking for a trap gun do I need a MC stock? Phil E you said that you had your stocks made adjustable, was it a conventional or MC stock to begin with?

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

I would hate to shoot a BT-99 for skeet or sporting clays ... unless you can really break it open and throw a second shell in it for the doubles.

Do you really know what your asking about?

3. kimv

kimv TS Member

Well I don't know anything about skeet or sporting clays thats for sure. I just know that guns are set up differently for different sports and I am only interested in trap, thus I want to make sure I don't buy a gun set up for something else. The first gun I bought was an O/U, back then I thought that made it a trap gun. It was a Remington Peerless field gun. I am slow but I am learning, sorry if the question sounded silly.

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

Well ... for skeet or sporting clays you need an O/O or a semi-auto and for trap you can use either of those or a gun like a BT-99 which is a single shot.

Before making a large purchase for a new gun you might want to pick the brains of those you shoot with in person and see first hand what your asking and thinking about. This might save you some time and some money.

5. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Kim;
    Ditto what Joe said I'm sure if you go to any range MOST people will be only to happy to help and let you shoot there guns. I think you will be very satisfied if you choose a BT-99. Just my .02

6. kimv

kimv TS Member

I have talked to a lot of people at the Trap Club but everyone has their preference. One strongly suggested a Beretta AL391 RL but I think there are too many moving parts and too much I don't know about guns to go with a semi. I am hoping to get the BT99 advertised here but this morning woke up wondering if I was getting a guns set up for trap. I'm a little nervous about buying something like this sight unseen, on-line and through the mail and just want to make sure there wasn't some question I should have asked. I have done a lot of "brain picking" on the site and I appreciate all the helpful information. This is a great place to learn. Thanks to you all.
    Kim

7. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

My first "trap" gun was a BT99 (2002 model) with the factory adjustable comb. I bought it used for $875 and it's still tight but the stock finish has some cosemetic issues but the gun shoots where you point it and will continue to do so for many many years. I must say I've heard issues stated on this sight regarding Browning factory adjustable combs coming loose, mine hasn't, but I guess your mileage may vary. Anyways, if your serious about trap shooting your going to need an adjustable comb, my BT99 shoots kinda flat (if I stack the beads). I have my comb up about 1/4 inch in order for me to be able to see the bird over my front bead when I pull the trigger. I believe that that picture is what they call "floating the bird".

Hawk,

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

Have you thought about going to an actual gunshop that could also help you on your quest? Do you have a Gander Mountain, Cabelas or a Bass Pro near you at all?

Your planning on making an investment in what you purchase. For that first purchase you might feel safer and better dealing with somebody direct who can help you in person with all you need.

9. lumper

lumper TS Member

Even with a clerk who dont know beans at least they might have a gun there he can put into his hands and then certain things will begin to click in the head as to what exactly what is what.

I have yet to find a Cabelas, Bass Pro or Gander Mountain that doesnt have at least 1 or 2 knowledgable clerks on the clock at a time ... especially if it is a Gander Mountain that has a gunsmith in the store and he is there.

10. Recoil Problems

Recoil Problems TS Member

I put a PFS on mine .

11. willing

willing Member

Question for Mr. Lumper who has an answer for everyone. Is a O/O a side by side??

Bill

12. lumper

lumper TS Member

You couldnt come up with anything other than a little typo nit-pick? I'm sur eyou could do better than that Bill.

BTW ... side by side is SxS even though I do remember it looking like O/O when it was shoved in my face for bringing her home far to early in the morning one time.

13. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Hi Kim. No, you do not need a Monte Carlo. If you find a BT-99 you like, don't be concerned about whether it has a straight, or a MC stock. Both may not fit you the same, but both will work essentially the same, since as Joe said, all BT-99's are pure trap guns. The purpose of a MC on a trap gun is, it keeps your eye up level with the rib on the barrel, while dropping the recoil pad down a little, to meet your shoulder properly. What this does is, helps you keep your head properly upright while allowing full recoil-pad contact on the shoulder. There's a device that stock-fitters install called a Jones Adjuster, which does much the same, plus it allows you to twist the recoil pad around to fit your shoulder muscles' "pocket." We've had adjustable combs installed on both conventional & MC stocks, and both work the same. The stock fitter cuts the top part of the comb's wood out, then reinstalls it on posts, so the comb top can be moved up-down-left-right, to better fit your face profile. You'd only have this done if needed to get your shooting eye lined up perfectly with the rib, or to raise or lower the eye. You may pick up a gun that fits you well & doesn't need this, or not. I'd recommend Rollin Oswald's book (above) for in-depth info on gun fitting. Phil E

14. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Well I have a BT-99, and I typically only use it for trap. When I want to shoot skeet I switch to #9's and grab some rocks to throw at the second target.
    -Trappy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

monte carlo vs adjustable comb for trap