1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question 'bout a BT-99

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trapshootin hippie, Sep 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Was hoping I could get come info on a BT 99 I was looking at at the toy store today. It has PR in the serial number which makes it a 87 model, if I'm not mistaken. In front of the break open lever, just at the start of the rib, still on the reciever, was a 97 engraved and inlaid in gold. The numbers were bout a quarter inch high, or just a little more maybe. Never seem this before and was waodering if someone might have a clue what it means. Thanks Gne J.

2. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

The gold inlaid number indicates to me it's a "Leos" BT. Leos Custom Stocks (out of business....he passed away a while ago) was a big Browning distributor here in PA who had special runs of BT's made. Sounds like that's what you saw.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

3. trapshootin hippie

Dave, thanks for that info. Should one of these have added value? The gun is in near perfect condition.

4. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

Glad to help.....As to added value.....If it's a Grade 1 perhaps a small premium over a non Leos depending on how nice the wood is. If it's typical of Leos guns it should have above average to great wood. If it's a Grade 6 a definite premium.

What barrel length ? Fixed choke or tubes ? What are they asking for it ?

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

5. trapshootin hippie

Dave, the wood is not grade 6, more like choice factory wood. Not a flaw on the metal, but couple little scratches in the wood. Has 34 inch barrel, and improved modified choke. Fixed choke, as I think this was made before screw in chokes were available. It has the light engraving in the raciever, trigger fuard and such, and can be had for 750 0r less. Bargain???????

6. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Just an observation but if his handle is trapshooting hippie should he be told to KEEP SMOKIN 'EM LOL

7. trapshootin hippie

Sirmiss??????????--------- some people don't have to be told. LOL

8. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

In my opinion $750 or less in the condition described is a fine buy. Here's a pic of Leos Grade 6.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

9. trapshootin hippie

The grade 6 is a beautiful gun. The one I'm looking at is just the plain one, but still in great condition. Might just have to add it to my collection. Thanks all for the help. I knew I could count on TS.commers for straight answers once in a while. lol

10. TIPPEDWAD

TIPPEDWAD TS Member

For PA101 Guy:
    have you ever seen a coin finished Leos bt 99 Pigeon? I have one and am curious as to its value. This item is a 34' full with drop dead gorgeous
    wood.
    Thanks for any info.....

11. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

tippedwad,

The Leos Pigeon GR.6 guns were in fact made in blued and the silvered coin finish like you have. As the lousy pic I posted shows, mine's blued. It's a 34" fixed full, straight stock, signed by the engraver. Like yours it also has excellent wood on it.

According to Leo himself (I'm only about 25 mi. from where his shop was and frequented it as often as I could) around 1000 BT's were made for him in all grades. I'm guessing that the Pigeons were the lowest production numbers of them all. I would not let mine go for much less than $2500 or so which is around what I have into it. It's unfired NIB.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

Hippie, Did you buy the GR. 1 you looked at ???

12. trapshootin hippie

Dave, yes I got it but haven't shot it yet. It seems to be a nice gun. Good wood with only a few dings. 34 inch improve modified, with a straight stock. I noticed that the 91 that is gold engraved is the last two of the serial number. Were these numbered in order total, or for each order, or do ya know. Wonder what these sold for in relation to a factory stock gun?
    One thing I would like to change about it is the forend. It has the late model forend and I like the beavertail, so it would match my other one. Might get it changed at a later date.

13. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

Glad to hear you you bought the Leos....can't go wrong with a BT. The Leos number is incorporated into the Browning S/N as you mention. As I remember, he had the guns made in lots of 50 to 100 pcs. at a time depending on the grade. My Pigeon GR.6 is #161. I'm not sure if they all run sequentially as they were built or are numbered by build lot/grade.

The GR.1 Leos sold for a slight premium over a stock factory BT of the same era due to him having a better grade of wood used.....100 to 200 more. The Pigeons were 1800 new. Enjoy your new to you Browning !

KEEP SMOKIN' EM....Dave

14. TIPPEDWAD

TIPPEDWAD TS Member

for PA_101 guy:

Dave:
    Thanks for the additional Leo's BT 99 Pigeon info. is the Store still in business?
    I heard somewhere that he had passed.
    Thanks,
    Whit Haselton

15. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

Whit,

Unfortunately, Leo passed away.......been at least 5 years now.....perhaps longer....and the family did not wish to carry on with the store.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

16. trapshootin hippie

Dave, thanks for the information and the help. I went out to shoot it yesterday and it does it's job, if I just do mine. A nice gun.

17. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

You're quite welcome hippie.....happy I could help.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.