Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

QUESTION: best rifle caliber

6K views 58 replies 45 participants last post by  Cold Iron 
#1 ·
i was just wondering what everyone thinks the all- around best rifle caliber is based on power, accuracy, availibility, cost, and distance.

#2 ·
If I could only have one rifle caliber, I'd go with .30-06'

I don't own one, mind you.

But if I could pick only one, that'd be it.

#3 ·
These topics are always fun. My guess is that the .270 Win will get the most votes. My personal favorite is the .300 WSM but it isn't for everyone. Availability of .300 WSM is great - only 20 yards from my house is a reloading shop where .300 WSM can be manufactured at a reasonable cost. Seriously though is availability of ammo ever a problem?

#6 ·
Boy, what a question! Ten rifle shooters will likely give at least eight opinions.

If availability is in the equation, you are looking at the 270 and 30/06, with perhaps the 7m/m Rem Mag thrown in.

Considering the four criteria you listed, my personal favorite is the 30/06. It may not be the most accurate, but has won uncountable matches. It does not have the longest range, but has taken game at VERY long ranges. It does not have the most power, but with the wide spectrum of bullets available, it can be set up to take most anything that walks.

It probably IS the most available. It also has the advantage of being a former military round, which means components, and data are plentiful. It is also a very well balanced cartridge.

For something BIG with SHARP TEETH, I would feel good about the '06 with a 220 grain Nosler Partition. For a far off critter, I would use the 165 Nosler Ballistic Tip. For Match, Sierra makes several Matchking bullets. The 168, 175 and 190 will do well.

For plinking, mil-spec bullets are cheap. Also, there are light weight bullets well set up for young shooters.

#7 ·

TIKKA Varmint
<a href="http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c224/rdrnr/?action=view&current=TikkaT3-1.jpg" target="_blank">
</a>

Remington SPS 20" barrel
<a href="http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c224/rdrnr/?action=view&current=P1020009.jpg" target="_blank">
</a>

bustclays

#11 ·
6mm/.243 can be loaded down to a 55gr bullet for chucks or loaded up to a 95gr bullet for deer. I shot my last muley at 243yds with my .243 and a 95 gr Combined Technologies bullet. It went 20 ft. I had a good rest, and had practiced alot before the hunt. A 270 or 06' is a better round for deer size game.

#12 ·
Tough call. I would say that something in the .30 cal. would be the best "all around". Just because of all the different choices in bullet weights and configurations. I own or have owned most of the cal. mentioned on here except for the newer short mags. From the 6mm/284 to the .300 mag. they all work "best" for different animals. Favorite? The 1968 Rem 700 BDL .270 that I started with. OR The 1955 Mod.70 30-06 FW my uncle gave me.

AJ100

#13 ·
The 30-06 is my favorite and probably is the most versatile. The 30-06 was an excellent sniper rifle in WW I, WW II, Korea and Viet Nam. I believe that it is # 1 in ammunition sales.

The 308 may be a tad more accurate with its more compact power column.

I have a 1903 Springfield set up like a national match that I love to shoot. With the Lyman iron peep sights, I have shot several 5 shot groups 1” at 100 yards. The serial number is over 1,100,000 which indicates that it was made about 1920. The barrel was made in 1912.

When I used to hunt deer, my short range rifle was a .35 Remington and my long range rifle was a 30-06.

The 30-06 has a very versatile number of factory loads available. The Remington 180 grain PSP Core Lokt took a lot of deer for me.

#14 ·
Considering I live in central Pennsylvania and don't plan to hunt large bears or dangerous game, a 6mm Remington or .25-06 will do anything I'll need from long-range varminting over an alphafa field to deer in Penn's Woods.

Ed

G
#15 ·
I'll have to agree with Setterman on this one. A .243 is a hard to beat all around caliber. This would be closly followed by a 25-06.

The other round that has caught my attention but never found favor is the 260 Remington. There is something about a 308 case necked down to 6.5 that would serve as a real good hunting round.

ec90t

#16 ·
This is a question only a married man will ask - or one who is restricted from having the proper tool for the job at hand.

The all-round gun does not exist.

But if readily available ammo is a criteria my choices are:

Most fun for the $$$ - any good .22
Best short range varmint - .17 HMR
Best medium range varmint - Bolt action .223
Best long range varmint - Bolt action .243 Win
Best deer rifle under 200 yards - Marlin 336 in 30/30
Best deer rifle long range - .270 Win
Best larger game (bear, elk, moose) rifle under 150 yards - Marlin lever action in 45/70
Best larger game rifle over 150 yards - .300 Win Mag
Best Light African rifle - .300 Win Mag
Best Medium African rifle - .375 H&H
Best Heavy African rile - ????

Don

#20 ·
NO QUESTION, NO HESITATION...
In fact, I've already begun preparations to keep my Mauser , .375 H&H magnum. In the brave new world the Democrat party will be bringing us where we'll be LUCKY to be allowed to keep a single rifle...mine will be the 375 H&H. I load cast bullets at very mild velocities for inexpensive practice. Step those up a bit, and I have a great deer/pig load. Step those up a bit more with 235 gn. jacketed bullets, and I have an excellent long range elk rifle. Switch to 270 or 300 gn. spitzers, and I'm "loaded for bear" (literally). Step THOSE up to 300 or maybe 350 gn. Woodleigh solids and no buffalo or jumbo is safe...
Cheers,
Don

#21 ·
Some folks have missed the "availability" requirement. Bubba's Game and Tackle Store in Podunk will only have a few calibers. Pick one of them.

I STILL like the 30/06. It is as close as it gets to the term "All Around Rifle". If you handload, you know what I mean. Bullet weights from 85 grains to 250. Up to 3200 ft/lb of energy with some loads in modern rifles.

The 308 is close, but does not do really heavy bullets. When you youngsters get old, you will come back home to the '06.

#22 ·
I'm kinda partial to the .338 Win. Mag......for anything larger than deer...but my knees won't let me get out and hunt much big game so I'm gonna concentrate on varmints with my .22-250 or my 240 Death Ray (.264 win mag necked down...I know, it's waaaay overbore but it's loud and fast and fun)...but like lots of the opinions on here, it's hard to argue against the '06 and 270....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.