1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about Winchester Shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by az outlaw, May 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. az outlaw

az outlaw Member

I just purchased some Winchester AA shells from a fellow. 3 dram 1 1/8 ounce #8 Super handicap loads ..... but they are BLUE!!!!!!! Has anyone ever seen these shells and have you had any luck with them? I have never seen BLUE AA's but now have 5 flats of them any info would be appreciated.

Mark Williams

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Mark, I have never seen or even heard of a "blue" Winchester AA shell. All super handicap shells (1250fps)I've seen are grey. Now the heavy 3 dram target loads (1200fps) are still in Red. I'd like to see some pix's if you can. Break-em all. Jeff

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Could they be counterfeit?

4. ATT

ATT Member

It seems like I had a few hulls that were blue, but that had to have been 25 years ago or more. It was made for the overseas market, maybe. I wouldn't bet one cent on all this information.

Allen

5. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Call Winchester and give them the lot # and they can probably tell you the age of them and other details if you have any questions. Larry

6. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

SanFrancisco powder blue Gay nationals loads 1984 holympics.

7. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

I have a silver AA with blue lettering

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

9. az outlaw

az outlaw Member

here are a couple pics of said shells......... GAWD I hope they aren't "gay" shells I have a hard enough time hittin targets as it is. LOL

Mark Williams
    azoutlaw_2010_21083.jpg

10. az outlaw

az outlaw Member

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I've seen AA 12 g. in clear, white, red, black, silver, dark gray.......no blue. Interesting.

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Compression formed one piece plastic. Been around a while. One of the first "dark cherry" boxes after the first white ones. The first SH's really nailed targets........and cheeks and shoulders.

Would be interesting to know if they're the super hot SH's or after they tamed them down a notch or two. Let us know how you like them.

13. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I find it interesting that those blue shells say 3 dram right on the box and today's Super Handicap shells don't state dram equivalent but are 1250 ft/sec and really 3 1/4 dr eq but are legal.

14. skeet_man

I'll bet they were supposed to be silver and the dye was a little off for that batch.

Seen all the other colors, but never a clear AA.

15. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

I agree with Ian, the dye might have been off a little on this lot. These are really just the famous "Silver Bullets" that were so popular quite a few years ago. I have quite a few of the 1 ounce version (with the ink in Blue) that were used for collegiate shooting, very "hot" loads. I did some chronographing of those 1 ounce loads and found speeds over 1,400 FPS measured with my Chrony F1, and thru my 34" unsingle (4' from the lightscreens) but still WAY fast. I also have quite a few of the old one-piece Red AA's that had a dye problem many years ago and they came out almost Brown in color (or maybe a variation of maroon). Different looking.

16. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Mark, Very Interesting!!! A wild guess here would be about 30 years old. Made after Win. stopped using the white boxes and before the black boxes seen today. I can't even guess how long these were made for. Also the all copper primers were from around that time as well. I find it also very interesting that the box has 2 different names for shells today on the same box. Super handicap is the 1250 fps load while the heavy target load is a 3 dram 1200 fps load. Does it have the shell speed anywhere in the box??? If not Could you possibly have someone check the speed so we would know if they are 1200 or 1250 or maybe even a possible 1235 or so. I'd hold onto those hulls after you shoot them. I'm sure someone would like to pay a bit extra to buy them from you. Maybe even keep a flat of them unfired. who knows. Best of Luck shoot-en em up. break-em all. Jeff

17. az outlaw

az outlaw Member

OK here's the word from Paul at winchester" this lot was made on September 11th, 1993, After looking at these pictures on T.S.com He spoke with engineers, case casters and a few other long timers at Winchester and NO ONE knows of a blue shell produced by Winchester, He did offer a reasonable explanation though, just like a few have noted it may have been a dying quirk when that batch was made and he did mention that they "might" be a shell that collectors would like to add to their collection" very nice man to speak with and as helpful as he could be. Now I dont know whether to shoot them or pack them away for later???????????? SURE WISH SHOT WOULD COME DOWN SO I COULD JUST LOAD MY OWN and sock these babies away somewhere.

Thanks to everyone for all the input

Mark Williams

18. valmet

valmet TS Supporters TS Supporters

Mark, if at all possible i'd do as Jeff suggested. these might be a hot item to a winchester or shotshell collecter. you can always shoot them later if there's no interest, but i think there will be. good luck, dennis

19. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"He spoke with engineers, case casters and a few other long timers at Winchester and NO ONE knows of a blue shell produced by Winchester"

I have this Blue AA. It is a cheaper looking plastic and ribbed...........

grntitan_2009_2503114.jpg

It doesn't have the normal AA stamping in the brass though............

grntitan_2009_2503119.jpg

20. skeet_man

grntitan- your shell was not intended for domestic sale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.