1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about Win M-12 Skeet Guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin77, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

Lately I have seen several Win Model 12 guns for sale with "SKEET" stamped on the barrel where the choke designation usually is...In everything I have read and seen todate "SKEET" was only stamped on the receiver under the serial# (referring to the grade), and WS1 or WS2 was printed on the barrel to designate the choke...anyone got any ideas which is correct or both? Thanks, WC

2. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Never seen a M12 w/ Skeet on the barrel. Have seen a number of M31's that have Skeet on the barrel.

3. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

My 2 pin milled rib M-12 with Cutts says WS-1 on the bbl.

4. nanuk

nanuk TS Supporters TS Supporters

Barrel markings---
    Pre 64 guns were marked WS1 or WS2----Y model guns (72 and later) were marked SKEET.
    regards
    Bob

5. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

Dolphin77.....My 1958 vintage 28 gauge skeet is marked skeet, as in choke.

For future reference, trap and skeet are NOT grades, it is a STYLE. The Model 42 and all the sub-gauge M12's could be supplied as a trap or skeet style. The only "grades" were standard and pigeon. At one time I owned a field style pigeon grade and it was the plainest pigeon I ever saw.

Jere

6. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

Actually "Trap" and "Skeet" stamped on the receiver referred to grade...there were several grades...standard, trap, skeet, pigeon, tournement.....this was the case for many years..that is right out of the Madis and Riffle books. Guns designed for field, trap or skeet could be any of those grades. Target guns were "setup" for the sport, correct stocks, chokes, etc....I have found out that on skeet guns that WS1 and WS2 were stamped on the barrel as a choke marking for 12, 16, and 20 gauge and that SKEET was stamped on the 28ga and 410. Now...a new question...in about 1940 "MODEL-12-TRAP" was stamped on the receiver extension of some guns.....was this referring to grade or that the gun was designed for trap? Thanks, WC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

win mod 12 skeet guns