1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about which gun to use

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mike T, Oct 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike T

mike T Member

O.K.I have a question. With it seems like everyone moving towards a combo type of system to shoot trap. Does any one think it is a good idea to shoot a o/u for everthing? If so, why?
    thanks
    mike t

2. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Mike,

The current trend is to shoot either a combo or 2 separate guns, however there have been a number of very successful shooters who use a O/U for all 3 disciplines. Ray Stafford and Leo Harrison shoot the O/U barrel in their combo sets for singles. Now that there are some adjustable rib O/U's out there I see no real reason why you could not do real well with one gun. The flatter shooting fixed rib guns would be somewhat of a disadvantage on handicap but with the ability to adjust the gun to shoot higher I see no reason why it would not work.

Long yardage handicap lends itself to a longer barrel gun as the longer barrel (34 or 35)is a bit somoother to point, however a 32" O/U with the right POI should be just fine.

Break em all!

Bob Schultz

3. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

There is an old saying, "Beware of the man with one gun". If you can swing it the way you want to and bust birds, use what YOU want.

On of the reasons for the combo was to have the same "mount/fit" for all disciplines. This could be a reason to shoot one gun.

I have noticed that VERY FEW from the fence shoot one though, must be a reason...

4. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

am i missing something, idon't remember a fence around a trap field and i keep hearing about the
    "back fence"

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I encourage new shooters to consider the O/U as a single gun for all events as their initial purchase. Several of my friends have followed that advice and stuck to their Brownings, Remingtons, and others with no reason to change and they thank me for the advice. My next recommendation for the newbie is the auto-loader but I do point out a number of drawbacks to them. Generally, those that go that route also have stuck to their first gun.

I'll opine that it is the fellow that is always looking for another tweak in his shooting to solve all problems that begins buying and selling guns like they are trivial toys but also agree that the more experienced shooter that will see some advantage in a dedicated gun for long yardage and another for doubles. That said, however, I have a number of experienced and long yardage acquaintances who shoot an O/U or auto loader for all their quite successful shooting; for one, Daro Handy who will appear with his Rem. 1100 or Perazzi O/U.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

6. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I made my state team last year using a 3200 for everything including 27 yard caps.

I picked up a 90T for singles and caps this year. I shot singles a little better and caps about the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.