1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about using trap guns for sporting clays

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Border Bandit, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I have guns I use for clays, and have used them for trap (not successfully) but am wondering if others have had success shooting clays with a "dedicated" trap gun. In this case, it's a Kolar Max TA with custom fitted stock, and although I've given it a try, it didn't "feel" right, and I shoot better with the 525 sporting. The doubles barrel set is 32", but I'm thinking it's more than that. Would getting wood fitted for clays, and/or a shorter barrel set turn it into a killer clays gun? I know that both Kolar and Kreighoff make clays setups.....what's the difference? Thanks in advance

best.....mike

2. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

I shoot with a 32" 682X High Rib Trap but.......the gun shoots flat for me.
    I don't think you will have much luck with a relatively high shooter. I may be wrong.

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

When I tried Sporting Clays with my Trap gun, I think my score could have been higher if I would have held the gun upside down. The POI is the answer to this question.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My trap gun shoots about 60/40, which suits me fine as it matches my field guns (they all have adjustable or monte carlo combs). Works well for sporting clays but NOT with the heavy, factory backbored trap barrel. The reason is it has a built in choke constriction of .018" (Mod). The heavy weight of the barrel makes for smooth swinging for trap, but it's a bit heavy to be jinking for sporting clays. So I simply swap on a light contour field barrel and the gun then works perfectly for sporting clays.

5. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Your Kolar MAX T/A has an adjustable rib on the barrel? Yes? Just jot down the trap setting so you can get back to it and then raise the rib up so that the Kolar shoots as flat as it can so that should be about 60/40. Do this at the patterning board.

Then, if you have removable chokes, swap in the appropriate ones for clays ( IC and Mod?).

You should be good to go other than your sight picture will have changed a bit.

Most all the MAX T/A's I have seen (to be honest just 3) are Unsingles so I suspect yours is an O/U barrel? None the less it should have the adjustable rib as I recall.

Art

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Mike: I use a Beretta 682 trap gun for sporting clays. (It also is my back up trap gun). Years ago I had Greg Hissem install an adjustable comb. I asked him to take an extra "saw cut" off the stock when he installed it. When I shoot sporting clays I lower the comb all the way down. When I use it for trap I add 2 nylon washers on each post and it shoots as well as my Krieghoff. Ed

7. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

Have a Guerini Trap. Bought O/U barrels for it for skeet and SCs, but couldn't get the POI low enough. So sold the O/U barrels and bought an Impact for SCs and 2 shot wobble trap.

8. johnpe

johnpe Member

I shoot a variety of trap guns at sporting clays and do quite well. Included are a Cynergy, two pigeon grade M12's, a SX-1 and three Rem. 32's. For kicks, I sometimes use an Ithaca SB and shoot true pair with it, but you must be able to handle the reload and shoot quickly.

Johnpe

9. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I use a 682 trap for sporting clays. I know where it hits. I think the bigger drawback is that the gun is long and heavy, so quick, snappy, close shots require a lot more effort.

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I shot Sporting Clays twice with a Model 12 trap gun, Shot a 72 and a 68, I figured it sucked but one Sporting Clay shooter told me that was good shooting ... I still think is sucks ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Have done really well with my 30" Citori Plus at sporting..the heads up style is preferable to me being a one eye shooter

12. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I looked at the Kolar website and as Ed suggested, removing the washers and lowering the comb might get it down to where it could work, along with Art's advice about cranking the rib to the top might get it shooting flat enough to have a go. I can't adjust the barrels individually; but can get another set of hangers to get 'em both shooting the same POI or nearly so. It might be a fun to buy a 30" sporting barrel set to play with and try it for doubles just for grins. Thanks everyone, for the helpful input. Happy Thanksgiving to one and all.

best.....mike & barb

13. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Done all the time.

Gary

14. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

Shoot what ever you got, there's no perfect score in Sporting clay's

15. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

High shooting guns are a disadvantage in today's SC,so many birds are dropping.
    That wasn't always the case, with good manual traps and imaginative course designers, you'd see a lot of different things. Good terrain makes for good Sporting, and you can play a lot of tricks on the shooters.

16. MR870

MR870 Member

WPT,you the man with a shuk-o-matic!I shoot an 870 in sporting clays and I've won more stuff than I ever did with my Beretta686 or K80.It's sometimes not the gun it's the loose nut on the butt.

17. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Not really Euro. A person that floats the target does so on all targets, dropping, rabbits, etc. It may not sound right to you, but many shoot 70/30 - 90/10 guns on sporting.

The barrel never blocks out the target.

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I've seen those with high shooting guns have trouble with battues thrown straight up. Generally another clay is thrown out at a shallow angle, which must be shot first else it will impact the ground if you go after the battue first. After the horizontal clay is shot, the battue by this time is streaking straight down towards the ground, and this requires a very large amount of lead. A high shooting gun makes estimating this lead even more complex and results in a huge amount of lead. This is one presentation where a flat shooting gun is an advantage, along with a more open choke.

19. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Setterman: Have you ever wondered why trap guns shoot high? Maybe it's because trap targets are RISING. Conversly, if sporting targets are DROPPING..........?

20. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Tell Derek Mein and Bill McGuire that. Both shoot high rib, higher POI guns. They both seem to be doing fine.

I'm not saying you are right or wrong, but it depends if you're a barrel shooter or a bead shooter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.