1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about US Open All-American Points

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by colobiggun, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colobiggun

colobiggun Active Member

Was just wondering why the US Open events immediately preceding the Championship events were not "Class" championships and carry All-American points to the winners? I thought according to rules this was a given? Any help?

2. Seitz373

Seitz373 Member

I'm pretty sure that since it is a "Other" category shoot (i.e. not a satellite grand, state shoot, or zone) only the Championship events carry points.

3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

colobiggun

"Was just wondering why the US Open events immediately preceding the Championship events were not "Class" championships and carry All-American points to the winners? I thought according to rules this was a given?"

I will post the rule but as I read it it has to be a championship event to qualify.

ALL-AMERICAN TEAM REQUIREMENTS

16’s Hdcp Dbls Men 3000 2500 1500

Women, Juniors, Veterans 3000 2000 1000

Sub-Juniors, Sr. Veterans 2000 1000 500

1. Qualified competitions are the Grand American, Satellite Grand
    Americans, Annual Resident Zone Tournaments, Annual State or
    Provincial Tournaments or any other ATA Registered Tournament
    where total entries in the Singles Championship Event, Doubles
    Championship Event, and Handicap Championship Event, individually or in any combination, total at least 600 entries

Bob Lawless

4. colobiggun

colobiggun Active Member

Bob,

Thank you for your response. I was looking at the rule that states:

Trophy Events:

Championship Singles, Handicap and Doubles events will be the last event of each type unless otherwise identified by the tournament program.

Class Singles and Class Doubles will be the like event immediately preceding the Championship Event unless otherwise identified by tournament program.

Preliminary Handicap is the event immediately preceding the Handicap Championship.

Of the six state shoots we have attended this year, they all had Class championships and corresponding All-American points, so was just curious why a shoot as large as the US Open and advertising All-American points shoot in their program did not? Was wondering if it was an oversight on their part and will award the points, or if it was intended to be that way? Any help anyone can provide would be much appreciated.

5. Seitz373

Seitz373 Member

"Of the six STATE SHOOTS we have attended this year, they all had Class championships and corresponding All-American points, so was just curious why a shoot as large as the US Open and advertising All-American points shoot in their program did not?"

From the 'All-American Requirements'---

Satellite Grands-All events

State/Provincial (Resident and non resident)-All championship events, including HOA and HAA; class singles and doubles events; and preliminary handicap. For points assignment purposed, singles class, doubles class, and prelim handicap events are those which immediately precede the like championship events.

Other Major Tournaments-The singles, doubles, and handicap championships plus the HOA and HAA.

The U.S. Open is an 'Other Major Tournament' therefore only championship events carry points.

6. colobiggun

colobiggun Active Member

Thank you Seitz,

I know you said that in your first post, but I guess I just didn't want to accept that was the right answer, but after some research, I see that you are correct. Thanks for your patience and persistence. It is much appreciated.

7. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Not that it changes anything in this instance, but I don't think "Other Major" tournaments are always limited to points only in the championship events. The catch is that other events have to have 600 entries which the US Open doesn't.

Won't apply to many shoots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.