1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about the IRS / Congress

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by XTFreak, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XTFreak

XTFreak TS Member

As I was writing my tax check last week, I was wondering what I am getting my my money.

If I was not scared of an audit, I would not give them a cent until the Congress starts acting in the interest of the people who elected them instead of the kook groups who fill their re-election funds.

Whick brings me to my question ... when was the last time a member of the House or Senate was subjected to an IRS audit?

2. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

You get the satisfaction of feeding and housing tens of thousands of illegal aliens in the fedreal prison system. Plus the added bonus of pork barrel spending of your tax dollars on sweetheart deals made in the house and senate.

3. XTFreak

XTFreak TS Member

I would like to know if and when any member of the U.S. Congress has been subjected to an IRS audit

4. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

I'm just guessing here, but I'd be willing to bet that whatever administration that's in power has used IRS information for some political purpose against their political enemies; they probably call it a 'national security audit' or some such.

Porcupine

5. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Senators and Congressmen, as far as I know, do not pay taxes unless they have income from outside sources (investments, business, etc). Their spouses must pay taxes, if they work.

6. 870

870 Well-Known Member

There is no special exemption for congress, they get paid a salary and it is taxable.

7. willing

willing Member

Curvy-Are you saying that they are excluded from the tax rolls when service men pay taxes?

Bill

8. 870

870 Well-Known Member

sammie:

In a blind trust they still pay tax on the trust income, they just don't direct the trust investments or know the details of where the income comes from.

9. Dennis McC

Dennis McC TS Member

I worked for the IRS for 35 years in the audit/compliance function. Some answers to the questions raised:
    Congressmen and Senators (as well as White House officials) are subject to the same review as any other taxpayer. Due to privacy laws no one is able to find out if individuals or businesses are audited unless they disclose it.

White House doesn't interfere with audits, either starting them or affecting the results. Too many people would need to be involved to do such a thing and besides, it's against the law. A number of safeguards have been put into place to insure that it doesn't happen.

Congressional salaries are fully taxable and are included on their tax returns.

Last, as 870 says, trust income is fully taxable.

10. 3200

3200 TS Member

If we were to abide by our for-fathers decision, there would be no IRS (Federal). Taxation was reserved for the States, if my history lessens serve me right.

11. XTFreak

XTFreak TS Member

Dennis McC,

I am sure that on paper, the members of Congress are subject to the same rules and guidelines as the rest of us common folk, but I will never believe that they do not use the power of their office to influence the the application of those rules.

Our elected officials are above the law, as demonstrated by several illegal actions by both parties including, but not limited to:

1.) Whitewater
    2.) Sandy Bergers stolen documents
    3.) Harry Reid land deals
    4.) Diane Feinstiens military appropriations
    5.) Hillary's Rose law firm scandal ( "I don't recall")
    6.) Bill Clinton perjuring himself in front of a grand jury

and the list goes on and on ....

So if they can get around all this, I'm am sure they can dodge an IRS audit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.