1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about the bore of my Remington 1100

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gus, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gus

gus Member

I just bought a used but like new 1100 and when I look down the barrel I notice some rings in the bore just forward of the chamber. They are in the metal (cleaning does not remove them). Is this just sloppy machining by Remington or could something have been done to the gun by the owner. He said no, there was only one box shot through the gun and other than that there is not a mark on it.

2. gus

gus Member

I have a field model that does not have them though

3. gus

gus Member

thanks I'll check when I get home

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    There's a forcing cone just ahead of the chamber. Typically these are not polished by Remington, so they have a somewhat rough looking surface that can look like rings. This does no harm, but it does collect combustion byproducts and plastic from wads easier, and takes more cleaning, which is irksome. It's possible to polish or lengthen the forcing cone then polish. (Don't do this for slugs, though, it ruins accuracy.) It's just a cost shortcut that Remington has taken for over a decade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.