1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about switching powder

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 686beretta, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

Hello everyone! I am going to be buying some 700X powder, I have always used Red Dot, I use a MEC Grabber, do I need to make any changes now that I am using a new powder? Thanks everyone!

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Yes your bushing at least.

3. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

Hello everyone! I am going to be buying some 700X powder, I have always used Red Dot, I use a MEC Grabber, do I need to make any changes now that I am using a new powder? Thanks everyone!

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Yes your bushing at least.

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Who makes 700x

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

700x is made by IMR. You can get all the reloading information you need from their website IMRPOWDER.COM....Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Damn the bushing use a SCALE !! Jeff

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

. . .and the same with bushing charts!

Neil

9. drh08

drh08 TS Member

Not sure what you mean by changes but 700X needs less powder than red dot. My question is why are you switching from Red Dot. I don't hear of very many people switching from Red Dot as the people I know that use it love it. I on the other hand shoot 700X and think about changing but I won't as I know what to expect from 700X. Just wondering why you would try a different powder and hope you don't get flamed for switching away from an American Made powder.

10. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

I switch monthly. Seems that a new powder will improve my skills. Been thru Green Dot/Red Dot/Long Shot/PB/Unique/Tightgroup/Clays/700X/800X/Promo/American select/Younameit.And all I have is a Mec 35 bushing??????? Damn I go thru alot of barrels.But,I have improved.

11. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I switched from 700X to Alliant E3 and really like the E3. 700X is a dense powder and takes up less volume in the hull than an equivalent weight of Red Dot. Before 700X, I used Red Dot. The new Red Dot, IMO, is much cleaner than the old Red Dot but both shoot great.

I used 700X in a Federal Paper reload to get deeper crimps. Now that I use STS and Gold Medal plastic hulls, I did not need the denser 700X. E3 is super clean and very consistent.

I also like the Alliant web site better than the IMR web site.

Ed Ward

12. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Does switching powder change the POI? Dave T.

13. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Thanks Neil. 700-x the best powder in the world. Powder charts and bushing numbers are only a guide to getting close to the recipe. A scale is the only way to make sure of variations in lots of powder and variations in bushings !! Jeff

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I will make one more powder change this spring. Since I have done the self hypnosis thing and beat a devastating flinch, part of the positive re enforcement was to smoothly and firmly pull and stay in the trigger and not notice the recoil.

Now, I can shoot 1 1/8 oz loads again! For those of you calling Bravo Sierra, TRY IT FIRST. I even took TWO 8 oz recoil reducers out of my trap gun, one out of the stock, and one out of the Unsingle barrel. Now, once I stop blowing through the target, I will be where I want to be. My Browning Cynergy backup is so well balanced and lively I find I am trying to duplicate its feel in my Krieghoff.

Anyhow, I have burned a BUNCH of Solo 1000 with 24 and 28 gram loads. I will go to Solo 1250 for the 1 1/8 oz 1250 foot loads I can now shoot again for 25 yd Caps.

I have tried most of them, but always come back to Solo powders.

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

I will promise not to criticize Beretta 686 for switching from an American made powder to an imported powder and eliminating American jobs, disrupting further our balance of trade and causing the babies of Alliant workers to go without shoes this cold Winter. I will not do it.

Pat Ireland

16. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Your self control is beyond belief Pat; I'd say even very admiral but someone would think I can't spell....Bob Dodd

17. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

drh the only reason I am switching powder is I have found someone who is going to shoot a lot less because of arthritis in his right shoulder, and I am getting a very good deal on the 700X.

18. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I make up the difference in shooting foreign made 700X by shooting an American made Remington shotgun.

19. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

tripod, Good one.

Pat, I live close to the border, use 700x in the winter, and green dot in the summer, I like to help out my canadian friends, along with my U.S. cohorts. LL

Tom R.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.