1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about "strange" bidding on GunBroker.com

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dr.beav, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

There is a "no reserve" Model 12 Winchester for sale on Gunbroker, but the same bidder has raised his own bid 8 times over the last several days. Why would a legitimate bidder raise his own bid on a "no reserve" auction? On the surface it looks like the seller has someone bidding it up?? the beav

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Question about

If the bids are in predetermined increments the bidder may have bid fairly high from the get go. When he bids higher than the increments everytime someone bids after that his bid is automatically increased to the next level and sometimes it appears that he is bidding against himself.This will go on until some bids higher than his highest bid amount. Bulge.

3. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

Question about

I had understood that in a "no reserve" auntion your highest bid gets posted - are you saying that is wrong; and, they are using "proxy" bid even though it is a "no reserve" auction?? Kind'a confusing to me! the beav

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Question about

The guy is a Shill. You are not going to get a deal on Gunbroker. You may be able to buy a new gun at just above cost plus shipping, but, that's all.

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Question about

I have always wondered if half the bidding was fake- often you will see this same item relisted later that has been "won"

Car auctions do this a lot- have a "ringer" or several- bid things up.

Not sure

regards from Iowa

Gene

6. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

Question about

The no reserve part is seperate from the starting bid.

Usually a gun is listed with a starting bid, a reserve price and a buy now price. Any of these can be omitted.

I usually list a gun with a starting bid equal to the lowest price I will sell the gun for and a buy now price that I would be happy to sell for and let it go at that.

Let us say that I am selling a model 12 field gun and I put a starting bid of 400 on it along with a buy now price of 500. If someone wants to bid it off and he is not willing to go 500, he may bid 450 if that is as high as he is willing to go. That bid will appear as 400 until someone bids lets say, 425. Now, since he is willing to go as far as 450, his bid automatically tops the other guys and it will show as bidder no 1 bidding 430 since the increments on an item of that range is 5 bucks.

In order to out bid him, someone will need to bid more than 450. If someone does that, then you will see a different name on the list. It sounds more complicated than it is.

No reserve does not mean that the total amount you are willing to bid is shown, only what ever it takes to equal the starting bid.

And my experience on gunbroker has always been good, both buying and selling.

They provide a feedback page, so the sellers and the buyers can be pretty muched checked out for honesty.

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Question about

On Gunbroker you have to have a valid credit card on file if you are selling something. Lets say you get your friend to bid your gun up on a no reserve auction as an example a $3,000 gun and that's the high bid. regardless you are going to get billed around $190 on your credit card. You must prove someone is a dead beat (non payer) to avoid the charges. You are taking a chance by having someone bid up your auction in a no reserve because you will be charged one way or another.

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Question about

GB is just like Ebay. Just deal with sellers with good feedback and you will have no prob. Car auctions are quite a different ballgame. I bought and sold at them for 25 years and yes they do run the bid. You better be a pro or stay home

9. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

Question about

As Redhawk44 has explained it then this process is probably okay - the GunBroker system is probably just increasing the bidders auto-bids as others out bid him, and I can see that would be okay - it just looked kind'a "funny" to see the person raising his own bids several times. Thanks for clearing that up for me, I may go ahead and bid on it. the beav

10. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Question about

I don`t know whats happening here but at a local Antique sale, a relative of who was selling a particular item stood in the back of the hall and raised the bid up on most items to get what they wanted for that piece. I knew them and no longer participate knowing that it`s rigged. If no one bid higher then the seller would have to pay a percentage of the buyback price but in the long run they always made more when the evening was over. Another time I was asked to bid up items for someone on EBay but refused to do that. Happens very often and why not gunbroker ?? I hate auctions for that reason.

11. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Question about

You hate auctions because you are not a "player". It's a fact of life that shills cannot be totally eliminated from the auction game. Gunbroker provides a feedback system that at least allows you to see whether the same buyer purchases more than one of the seller's items, a sign of a shill. Otherwise, the system is as clean as it can be for buyers who are looking for an item that is actually for sale. If an item is actually for sale, it will eventually sell for a price that is fair to seller and buyer.

12. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Question about

Excellent luck on Gunbroker.

Just watch out for items with bad picures

13. Cobra Khan

Cobra Khan Member

Question about

Toolmaker is correct, Gunbroker charges a commission for every gun that is sold. You don't have to pay much for listing an item for sale, but as soon as that gun sells, they charge your credit card a pre-determined commission fee based upon the selling price of the gun.

If an auction item is truely a 'no reserve' auction, any bid larger then the 'minimum bid' will result in a winning bidder, and Gunbroker will charge their commission. The system will not allow a bid below the 'minimum bid' as such if a seller were to incorporate a fake bid (a shill) it would have to be above the minimum asking price, triggering a Gunbroker commission. The gamble for the shill bid thus is that nobody outbids the fake bid, as such the seller ends up buying his own gun and Gunbroker charges their commission for a gun that the seller didn't really sell.

14. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Question about

Yeah -- you've got to be careful and sharp to do well on GB, but it can be done. I've gotten some good deals. By that I mean I either re-sold locally for a profit or happily kept for myself and was glad to pay the price. The ultimate jackpot is to find a really nice gun on GB with bad picture, a no-feedback seller, or a poorly written ad, which happens to be located in your local area. I was able to find a gorgeous Winchester 61 rifle near where I live and nobody challenged my bid because there was no way to see from the ad just how beautiful it was. The flash in the guy's picture made it look like the bluing was half gone but it was actually in 98% condition even though it was 52 years old.

By the way, YES you can buy a gun on GB, have it shipped from the seller's FFL to your FFL, and STILL end up with a stolen gun. That's a risk, so keep your receipt.

-Gary

15. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Question about

My experience there has been quite the opposite. I've bought numerous guns there and haven't regretted any of those purchases. I'm not a big-time collector but enjoy buying modern Remington rifles that were not made in high numbers or are unusual - for example, Model 700s, especially stainless steel ones, with a detachable box magazine and the engraved receiver that was only on guns made during a four-year window. I haven't found many anywhere but GunBroker.

As with any Internet purchase, the buyer must be knowedgeable of what he is bidding on. I place an auto-bid for the most I want to pay for the item and if it goes over that amount, I usually let it go. (That also protects me from being "shilled.") I did just that on a blued engraved Model 700 BDL/DM in .280 Remington with a rough stock just last week. If it had been equipped with a 24" barrel, I probably would have chased it a little farther, but it was a 22". On the other hand, I bought a Model 870 Competition Trap that was made in 1982 and appears to have been shot very little for $600 plus $20 shipping two days ago. This is another Remington that was only made for a few years and the wood looks more nicely figured than those guns usually had, the original recoil pad is still on it and there isn't a mark on the wood or wear on the magazine tube's bluing.

I often ask the seller to email his photos to me unless I can tell that the gun is at least as nice as it is being represented. That way, I can load them in to my computer and blow them up, so imperfections become more obvious than they do otherwise. I did that with this 870 and blown up, they only make the gun look better.

Buying on GunBroker isn't risky if you take precautions and use common sense.

Ed

16. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

Question about

bump one time more

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
bidder backed out gunbroker
gunbroker commission
no reserve on gunbroker
straw bidding on gunbroker