1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about stock refinishing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bama73, Aug 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bama73

Bama73 Member

I have a maple stock on my Superposed trap gun that was on it when I bought it. I love how it fits but the only problem is whoever made it decided to draw/paint in fake grain lines into it. Would there be a chemical that would take that out so as to get the natural wood back or would it have to be sanded out ? If it had to be sanded what about the checkering ? Here are a few pics to show what I mean.

bama73_2010_290115.jpg

bama73_2010_290116.jpg

bama73_2010_290117.jpg

2. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Actually I think it looks pretty good like it is.
    Don

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'm with Don. I don't think it was an amateur job. It's unique, leave it alone.

4. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

That is definitely a unique stock. It depends on if it is actually in the wood itself. It is possible that they put a couple of coats of finish on the gun before they applied the grain, which would stop it from bleeding and soaking into the wood. If that is the case then just stripping it and refinishing would do. It may be on the outside of the finish, doubtful. Then it may be possible to remove with chemicals. Although I think the finish would be compromised. It looks like it may be film applied, or dipped.

5. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

Are you sure it's painted and not just a fantastic example of spalting?

--Dan

6. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I don't think it looks good with a light color wood. Also might be a real chore to get rid of those lines. I am thinking that an easy solution is to stain it a rich dark color and leave the black lines underneath.

7. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

It could be a marking pen. A gunsmith friend used to do some pretty unique stock repair and he would use a soft tip marking pen to duplicate the grain. If it is ink, I would think it is "in" the wood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.