1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

question about steel shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by chipking, Aug 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chipking

chipking TS Member

I was in my local Wally World yesterday and when I passed by the sporting goods I noticed that they had the Winchester Super Targets with #7 steel 1 1/8oz @1200 for the same price ($5.97)as their 1 1/8oz lead #7 1/2 @1200.

I know that there are a lot of you that have been forced into steel shot for trap and I was wondering 1. did the clubs change the "no larger than #7 1/2" rules to allow the use of # 7 steel. 2. at normal 16 yd shooting range would a 1200 fps #7 be as effective as a lead 1145fps load. 3. what speed and shot size would you see as the minimum for a 23yd and back handicap shooter.

Thanks --- Chip King ---

2. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

I am wondering if you can use steel shot out of a full trap choke. Wonder if steel shot would break targets better since it is harder?

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Do you want to ruin a good trap Bbl? It will put grooves in the Bbl, have seen it on Winchester Range Guns.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

4. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Dr. Longshot, I use steel in my Benelli for ducks and geese. No such thing as grooves in the steel. I used mod choke for steel. As far as trap shooting I would never use steel unless I'm forced to.

5. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

We can now add another item to the list of things Dr. Longshot knows nothing about.

6. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Regarding the questions about steel . . .

#7 steel is an OK substitute for #7.5 lead. We shoot ATA at our steel-only range and got the OK from someone at the ATA.

Our experience has been you can shoot steel thru any choke you want, what's more important is that you pattern the gun with steel and see which choke gives you the pattern you want. We have a lot of guys shooting steel thru full chokes with no issues. Wouldn't do it on the older guns, but a modern barrel shouldn't be an issue.

1200 fps is plenty for 16-yards, faster is better as you move back though.

As for putting groves in the barrel, as long as you use components designed for steel you won't have a problem. We have been shooting steel at our club for going on 10 years with no issues.

Scott

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The current recommendation for chokes tubes is to open the choke up 1 size when using steel shot. Most choke manufacturers will<UL><LI>indicate whether or not a choke tube can be used with steel shot (some tubes are marked "Lead Shot Only")<LI>indicate the size for both lead shot and steel shot (eg. a tube may be marked "improved mod" for lead but "full" for steel)</UL>

Steel shot IS harder than lead shot but, size for size, it carries a lot less energy downrange because it's also a good bit lighter. To get similar breaks, the steel shot needs to be bigger than lead shot.

MK

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Apparently Krieghoff has issues with steel shot with tighter than mod chokes.

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Adding my $0.02 in here...

Krieghoff is particular, I think they recommended no tighter than a 2+ choke - LIM if I recollect in my KX-5...

At Naperville we reload #7 and stock #7 factory in 12/20 gauge. Presently we stock RIOs, but have used Winchester Xpert, Remington Sportsmen Steel and Federal Duck and Pheasant. In the beginning, we shot Winchester AA steel #7 and Remington STS in both #7 and #6.5...

Loads have ranged from 1200 FPS to upwards of 1365 FPS.

The ATA gave me a private letter ruling that #7 steel was acceptable for registered shooting.

Personally, I'm the maverick, doing my own thing with lead wads and powders... and while tested for pressure - I haven't had any "scoring" issues shooting through my fixed full choked/choke tubed guns (BT99s, 90T/90T HPAR, etc.), Scott mentions and it is recommended to use steel compatible components.

I load 3/4oz for 16-22 yards, at <1200 fps and those work well for me. At 27 yards, I'll buy a box of factory 1oz 1325fps and they get the job done out to 50-60 yards for game shooting...

Choke rules need to be updated to reflect the new dynamics of steel clay shooting. We're not shooting geese with "T" or larger shot at 1400-1500 fps.

Respectfully offered,

Jay

10. Tpeterson1

Tpeterson1 Member

unknown has it right,as far as the benelli goes the factory "mod" choke is full steel.

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

For clays and the distances we're shooting, #7 is more than adequate, we don;t anything bigger. And, while the present logic is to open the choke, with smaller shot sizes and slower loads, you really have to pattern the guns to find the optimal choke constriction.

Certain chokes are not compatible with steel. However, the old rules regarding choke and steel are just that... old rules. Pattern starting with a modified choke and work from there...

regards all,

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.