1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question About Shooting Sticks

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jollytrapshooter, Dec 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I am considering getting into making shooting sticks. I have an idea of my design but wanted to ask about them here. If you have any experience in using them, maybe you could give some insight as to what you like about them and what could be improved with them. From my research online, it appears most if not all are made out of tubing, I'm thinking solid round rod. I am a coyote/varmint hunter myself, but built the shooting sticks I use now because I couldn't find any to my liking. Who knows, maybe I'll find that the "perfect" sticks are already out there and I'll just drop the whole idea together. But any help is greatly appreciated for now. Thanks, Josh.

2. bigmike

bigmike TS Member

Josh,I use the stoney point shooting sticks they telescope out or in also they make adapter so you can use them as a tri-pod. I like to use them as a walkin stick as iam a little unsteady on my feet anymore. They work for me. shoot well,bigmike

3. andybull

andybull Active Member

Picture please?

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I made my cross sticks out of old ski poles about 30 years ago.

5. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

looks a little funny on the trap Line but so does the scooter.
    tri pod is best

6. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

I like the solid stuff too. One piece of my blind gear is a an old broom stick...the rifle forearm rests on the blind opening, the broom stick I hold in my left hand and under the rear of the stock.....I can get almost benchrest steady.

On the ground, 2 broom sticks, strapped together with a piece of inner tube and used in front of the forearm makes a fine, fast rest.

A few years ago, a buddy gave me one of those POS jointed shooting sticks held together with bungy cord material....it just took too long to bring it into the action and it made too much noise...by the time you were finally ready, the game was over, and gone!

Think simple, fast, and cheap.

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I carry a single 5-foot stripped yew stick in the field and have used the same one for nearly 30 years. I've tried factory-made bipods and collapsing poles and while they are handier to carry they require a lot more movement to extend and the bipods require fiddling if the shot is taken while standing on the side of a hill. The single yew stick is just easier to position and use.

MK

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Its interesting that Ricks1, commented about the tripod, because when I think of a traditional shooting stick, I'm also thinking of something with a foldable seat...

Using rod stock, weight may become a factor, but for those who are heavy, tubing just doesn't hold up. Some with the hinged disc which prevents sinking is a nice little add-on also.

Make a seat to fit an American's tush?!

My $0.02,

jay

9. rd

rd TS Member

Go to Crawford knives website and check out their "survival staff". I have one and use it as a shooting stick, but it also has many other features that are handy for hunters and hikers. Many different accessories are available, and even though it is expensive, it's really cool and fun in the off season.

10. Lyle

Lyle Member

Take two fiberglass electric fence fencposts. they are pointed on one end so you can stick them in the ground. Hold them next to each other and put three or four castration rubber bands around them holding them together. you will be able to swivel these every which way and all for less than 10 bucks and about one minute of building time.
    Add camo tape if desired.

Lyle

11. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Thanks for the info guys. I think I have a good idea of what I want to build. I really don't know how much of a market there is, but I'll never know until I try I guess. Thanks again, Josh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.