1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about shipping firearm?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bodybuilder, Sep 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I bought a gun off this board and sent the man the money, He is in Illinois and I'm In West Virginia, I had a gun store send him a copy of their FFL and where to send It. My Question Is this, Is It Legal for an Individial to ship a firearm to an FFl holder even if he does'nt have one? He is ready to send it to the FFL holder but they say he has to take it to an FFL holder and have them send it out. I thought anyone could send a gun to an FFL holder. Please help because It Is holding up the transaction. And tell me if I'm right how I can prove it to them. Thanks

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Not knowing local law, but as far as I am concerned, yes, you can ship without an FFL, but has to be to an FFL. Much like if you were to ship your Remington to Remington Arms for repairs. Receiving end must have the FFL.

Whiz White<BR>
    FFL Dealer

3. jackaroo

jackaroo TS Member

I have been thru this also,it is easier and faster to get it done if he takes gun to an ffl holder and has them ship it to your ffl holder.( it just depends on the ffl holder that will recieve the gun for you..some will and some will not recieve a gun from an individual that does not have an ffl.)

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Federal Law states that any FFL can receive a firearm from any individual.

"B1) To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA? [Back]

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]"

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I think jackaroo's got the answer. Many FFL holders simply want another FFL holder to handle the shipping to them placing another license between him and any potential investigation by the BATF. Having the ability to say, "Hey, a licensee sent it to me, why should I be suspicious?" is a comforting position.....Bob Dodd

6. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I Just called the ATF and they said this is a Legal way of doing business.

7. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Since I called the ATF and they said this is a legal way of selling firearms, The guy mailed it overnight mail, They sent him an FFl so he was all Legal, If when they get it they won't Let me have it are they breaking ATF laws or not?

8. primed

primed Well-Known Member

h92064

I went through a sale to California and was also told it was state law that the gun had to be shipped from FFL to FFL. Could not find that law on the internet so I wrote to the California Dept of Justice, firearms division. This is their response as received with my name deleted. There is even a contact name and number. You will find that a lot of folks that want to tell you what the law is are just plain wrong.

Dear Mr. :

In regard to your e-mail inquiry, there are some dealers who prefer to receive firearms from other dealers versus from a private individual. That is at their discretion; it is not state law. If this dealer will not receive it directly from you, you could try to find another dealer e in California that will.

Should you have any further questions, you may contact the Bureau of Firearms at (916) 263-4887.

Sincerely,

Leslie McGovern, Analyst
    Bureau of Firearms

end of email.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.