1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about shipping Barrel?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ljutic 4 Ice, Feb 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ljutic 4 Ice

Ljutic 4 Ice TS Member

Hi Folks, I need to ship the barrel from Mono Gun back to Ljutic to get the rib tightened. What is the best way to do so? Use a round tube like from a fishing rod, or maybe a long box? I'm not sure. Thanks David

2. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

If I were to ship an expensive barrel I think I'd seriously consider building a box to fit it in out of 1x4 pine screwed together. Shouldn't take longer than 60-90 minutes to do it. Wrap in in soft cloth, then surround it with bubble wrap from Wally World. Just a suggestion.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Get one of the carboard tubes like you mentioned. Wrap the barrel in bubble wrap(its like $4 for a large roll at Wal Mart) as suggested above and slide it in the tube. I bought a 870 barrel and that was how it was packaged. It arrived in perfect condition. Most of the tubes are pretty stout. Make sure to insure the barrel for its replacement value. The PO sells those tubes but you'll have to check on the lenght. I remember seeing them at Office Max or one of those office supply stores.

Matt

4. steele

steele TS Member

Go to Home Depot & get a section of 4" plastic drain pipe. They have 4" caps to fit on the ends. Glue on one end. Cut the pipe so it is about 4" longer than the barrel. Wrap the barrel in foam rubber & stuff in the pipe. Use duct tape to secure the other cap. If you ship UPS, wrap the pipe in brown paper. They charge an extra "handling fee" if the item is not in carboard. I've shipped numerous barrels & keep using the same tube. Never a problem. Butch in Pgh.

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Hawk 46--no relation that I know of; has it right if you are really concerned. I also understand that the round tubes can cause problems staying on the conveyor systems in use at the various stages of transport. That would make sense when you think about it. I have also received barrels shipped in triangular USPS boxes that worked well. It just takes some care with bubble wrap so it can't slide.

6. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Butch has the best solution for protecting the barrel from damage. I shipped a barrel to Wright's for work in a very well padded triangular box (as provided by USPS) but Wright returned it in a PVC plumbing tube. It looked all but bomb proof. Marc

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The PVC tube has worked best for me.. If ou tape 2 small blocks of wood on it.. It will not roll..

8. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

If we are talking about expensive or irreplaceable barrels and perhaps forearms too the PVC pipe with bubble wrap is great but I then put it inside a cardboard box for the reason Bob Hawkes mentions with shipping labels on the box. An extra 30 minutes packing can save a lot of grief later. Its reuseable also.

9. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

How ever you package it, insure it for the value of a new barrel and the cost to fit it to your receiver. Neil

10. Ljutic 4 Ice

Ljutic 4 Ice TS Member

Thanks Guys for the replies. I'll look into the PVC pipe. I'm 3 hours from the nearest Wally World. I maybe able to find bubble wrap at the hardware store. Thanks again, David.

11. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Build the PVC tube as described above, but ship it FedEx Green (ground).

I ship guns, and barrels all over and my best service and the cheapest when you insured them, is FedEx ground.

Whiz

12. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I also use PVC tube, specifically 3" Schedule 40 PVC. I wrap the barrel in one layer of bubble wrap, slide it in and duct tape the end caps on. It fits perfectly inside a FedEx triangular blueprint box. I ship FedEx next day standard insured, and have never had a problem.

13. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

another solution...go to a rug/fabric store. They sometimes have those heavy round cardboard tubes they use to roll the carpeting and fabrics with. ask if they have any in the back. I have used these to shop expensive fishing rods in addition to the PVC pipe method.

14. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Mostly overkill, recently sent one to Broley in a heavy paper tube, came back in a box lined with foam in place.

15. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

PVC pipe will do the best on the $ and it will take a good hit. I use to work for UPS and I have seen how they treat the boxes. No respect at all. Over pack it and you will do well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.