1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

question about shells

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 686beretta, Jun 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

Hey everybody, I recently bought some Nitro 27's from a guy who can't shoot as much as he was did due to shoulder problems. The Nitro's are new but I am unsure as to how old they are, my question is this being uncertain about their age would you all shoot these shells for non-registered practice or would you all have any problem shooting them at a money shoot. Thanks for the help!

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

They are extremely dangerous....send them to me and I will properly dipose of them !

:)

3. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

They are not for sporting clays....they are 1235 fps, for trap.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

They'll be just fine!....Bob Dodd

5. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

It it has 1235 f/s as the velocity they should be of the "new lower recoil" version. The earlier ones gained the reputation of being hard on the shoulder because they probably had a little more than 1 1/8 oz of shot and a velocity of about 1260 f/s; right at the maximum of what the "industry standard" of a 3 dram equivalent load is.

Shoot a few shots at the pattern board at the estimated distance you hit your handicap targets. Or you can just shoot some practice to see how they work for you before shooting them with money on the line.

Jason

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

They are a very fine shells to shoot and are designed for longer range handicap events. I would not shoot them at 16 yard birds or even 20 yard handicap. They could easily be traded for some lighter Rem STS shells that are a little better from the 16 to the 20+ yard line. From the 25-27 yard line, no better shell is made.

Pat Ireland

7. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Shoot them and be happy with them because that is why the Trap Gods had them made.

8. Rvator97

Rvator97 TS Member

Pat: Why not shoot them from 16 yds? Why would a light load be better from the 16 yd line? If you like the load, and the recoil does not bother you...why not shoot them for all events? As you discussed in related threads, the difference in speed is really not noticeable to shooters, (other than those who have extremely vivid imaginations...:) Walt

9. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

The newer boxes, w/i the last 3-4 yrs say "new lower recoil" or words to that effect. I wouldn't shoot them at 16's or shorter yardage Caps either. Whether you realize now or not, recoil is cumulative and why take it when it's not necessary.

10. Rvator97

Rvator97 TS Member

Hit: It's really not necessary at long yardage either....

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rvator97- I knew a shooter (R. Paxton) who for many years shot AA Super Handicap shells for singles, doubles and handicap, but he was unique. Nitro 27 will work at singles and a three pound hammer will drive a 6 penny finishing nail, but most people would try to make a better match between the tool and the job the tool is to be used for.

I do agree with your last post, the super handicap shells might be a little too much from the 27. But, at times decisions are made more on emotional factors than logical data. A possible disadvantage of my PFS is that it allows me to shoot a shell that is heavier than needed with minimal suffering.

Pat Ireland

12. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Rvator- Wouldn't argue with you on that one other than to say when the weather conditions are tough, I like the Nitro 27. Otherwise I would normally use the standard 3 dr.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.