1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about selling gun on TS.com

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by pullbangloss, Apr 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

Hey All,

Just got a quick question in regards to selling a gun over Trapshooters.com. How does the shipping work? Do I need an FFL? Does the buyer need an FFL? Thanks in advance for the input.

pullbangloss

2. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

Typically the buyer pays shipping unless an agreement is made.

If it is a firearm, the buyer will need to provide a copy of an FFL, either via mail or fax. You then ship the gun to the FFL, not the buyer.

For shipping, I would suggest using the quickest method financially possible and make sure you have insurance, tracking, signature etc. I prefer not to let a gun cruise around the shipping system too long.

And make sure you package it up good with NO markings on the box that indicate there is a firearm inside.

3. Bridger

Bridger Member

The gun needs to be sent to a FFl who will transfer ownership to the buyer. Some receiving FFL's may require that you also send it through an FFL although federal laws do not require it. Shipping should be paid by the buyer although expect the buyer to offer a price inclusive of shipping. Shipping and insurance is expensive. The post office is often the cheapest means of shipping but you must use paper tape to seal the package, no type of plastic tape allowed and I believe it must go by registered mail. You can only send rifles or shotguns though the post office, no handguns allowed. You can go on any of the shippers websites and figure the cost of shipping.

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

As sshooterz said. I send guns priority mail, insured with delivery confirmation. This will get the gun to the desired location in 2-3 business days. I use plastic tape all the time with no problems. Ed

5. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

I've never heard anything about the plastic tape. I've used it on all my gun shipments without a problem.

You can ship a handgun through the Post Office, you just need to have your FFL ship it for you. (His FFL has to be on file with the P.O.)

I like esoxhunter also typically ship via Priority Mail. Usually very quick but I did have one experience where it took 11 days. Had me worried there for a bit. Shipment may be delayed by holidays and/or bad weather along the route of your shipment. Just something to keep in mind.

6. Bridger

Bridger Member

Maybe my local post office just doesn't like guns but they made me remove all the plastic tape before they would accept shipment. They told me the reason is that they want the paper tape so they can mark it and tell if someone has tampered with the package. The markings won't adhere to the plastic.

7. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

Interesting... Thanks for the input Bridger.

Makes sense I guess, but kind of self incriminating on their part.

8. cdan12

cdan12 TS Member

On registered mail,you must use paper tape,on priority mail any type is O.K. ,Dan

9. primed

primed Well-Known Member

cdan12 is correct. On registered pieces, the seams are stamped to make it easier to detect tampering and thst is the reason an ink absorbing tape must be used. It's kind of a pain to get and use paper tape, but registered is the safest method and therefore the insurance cost less than on priority. If the gun has a relatively high value, the insurance savings will far outweigh the registered fee. In addtition, registered packages can be insured for a lot more than priority packages. I believe the current max on registered mail is about 15 million per package. That is why gems, gold and bearer bonds usually go registered. Keep in mind that the postal service also has their own federal police force to investigate any issues.

Bob

10. dzeh

dzeh Member

You can go to Gunbroker.com to get the specifics on shipping firearms. I believe you can only ship through USPS via registered mail. Here's an excerpt from Gunbroker.com:

US Mail: An unlicensed person can ship a rifle or shotgun by US Mail. Unlicensed persons cannot ship a handgun by US Mail. Postal regulations allow the Post Office to open your package for inspection. Ammunition cannot be shipped by US Mail. You can search the US Post Offer Postal Explorer site for specific USPS regulations regarding firearms and ammunition.

FedEx: FedEx will only ship firearms via their Priority Overnight service. Ammunition must be shipped as dangerous goods.

UPS: UPS will accept handgun shipments by Next Day Air only. Rifles and shotguns can be shipped by UPS ground service. UPS will accept shipments of ammunition. UPS does not allow shipment of firearms FROM an unlicensed person (even to an FFL), unless the stated reason for the firearm shipment is for repair or modifications.

Most other shippers will no longer accept firearm shipments. Airborne and Roadway have specifically prohibited firearm shipments.

11. esoxhunter

dzeh: You are supplying false information. Please have your information correct before answering with such information as ; "I BELIEVE you can only ship through the USPS using registered mail". Where did you get this information? Where is this found in the USPS Policy & Procedure shipping manual? I have shipped at least 25 guns in the past 2 years through the USPS using the priority mail option. I have shipped these guns in the States of Wisconsin, Florida and Arkansas. Last year when I moved to Arkansas I dealt with a postal employee who claimed that no one but an FFL license holder can ship a gun through the postal system. He had 12 years seniority!! I objected and asked him to call the postmaster. After looking at the manual and discussing the issue with the postmaster; it was agreed that, Yes I could ship a firearm. (Not a handgun though) So please do not spread false information. For instance all it does is confuse the law abiding citizen who wants to ship his gun out for repair. What "You Believe" and what is factual isn't always the same. Ed

12. teleskier

teleskier Member

MX-8B....I just had a gun sent to an FFL here in California and they did not charge me sales tax. This was a sporting goods store too... Mike

13. Bridger

Bridger Member

The postal employees told me guns cannot go by priority mail and showed me a copy of their regulations specifying that they must go by registered mail. They told me this is the safest way to ship as it has better tracking. I mentioned that I had shipped before using priority mail and they told me if I had done it that way that it was against regulations and should not have been shipped. In the end you have to deal with the person behind the counter and the regulations may be the same for everyone but that doesn't mean they are applied the same.

14. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Bridger:

I don't think you were shown any reg that mandated registered mail. I think they recommend it, but it's not required. Like several posters above, I have used both registered and priority mail with the USPS. It is much more likely that your local postman was not that familar with the rules.

15. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

I recently bought a trap gun from somone on this site and he sent it to me via the Post Office, straight to me no FFL, no nothing. Didn't tell them what it was, insured it and it came straight to my house no trouble at all. He said he does it all the time with no trouble. You DO NOT have to tell them what is in the package, they do not x-ray everything, and its none of their business what is in that package. It was relatively heavy, case and all, boxed and wrapped, taped very well. I will never deal with UPS and all their bullshit anymore! This was so quick and easy.

16. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Have shipped ten or more guns USPS in the last year and have never shipping registerd . I have never had a postal employee ask for anything but the money. I will never ship UPS but do like FED-X but the post office is just down the road .

KEYBEAR

17. dzeh

dzeh Member

esoxhunter, Just because you got away with shipping a gun throught the USPS via Priority Mail doesn't necessarily negate the information I posted. Not every postal service employee is thoroughly versed in the rules and regulations of shipping firearms. In fact the USPS website refers inquiring parties to check with their local ATF. If you visit the ATF website you will indeed see that the "recommended" method to ship a long gun through the USPS is via registered mail. Now please pardon me for being so ignorant for passing on what you claim to be false information: B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

This is a direct quote from ATF. My sincere apologies to all whom I have "misinformed" per esoxhunter

18. esoxhunter

dzeh: Why don't you read what you just wrote?? Quote, "The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail". Unquote. Note the 10 letter word, (recommends) in the middle of your quoted sentence. As stated above, registered mail takes longer to ship and as I have had very good luck using priority mail; I will continue to do so. As far as the other information in your response; there is nothing there that is new. Anyone shipping a gun through the USPS knows about their right to inspect, not having any type of documentation on the outside of the package which could be construed that the contents has a firearm, etc. You just need to get your facts straight before giving out incorrect information. Again, look up the definition of the word recommends. The USPS does not prohibit an individual from sending a gun via priority mail. Not too long ago a respondent on a previous thread claimed to have been told by an ATF representative in San Antonio, Texas that no private individual without an FFL license can ship a gun. Seems like "Not all ATF personnel are thoroughly versed in rules and regulations". In summation I did not "get away with shipping a gun by priority mail" as you claim. What I did was ship a gun consistent with postal regulations. Again, you are not reporting accurate information. Ed

19. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Any long gun may be shipped USPS via priorety mail. There are no regulations against it. Registered mail is recommended for two reasons. It is significantly cheaper and the package is safer because it is handled by far fewer postal employees. Shipping time may be slower, but not by much.

20. Inquired at local post office yesterday and asked them for printed regulations regarding shipment of shotguns/rifles....clerk was clueless and showed me some kind of internal post office quick reference guide that instructed the clerk to contact BATF for proper instructions.......go figure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.