1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about PW 900

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by aaaskeet, Feb 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aaaskeet

aaaskeet Member

I was looking at a used PW Sizeomatic 900 in 12ga. I am familiar with the 800+ but not the 900. Can you change gauges in the 900, if so, what is involved vs. the 800+

I was told that the older 800B could interchange if it started out as a lower gauge you could convert larger. I was not sure if the 900 was the same.

Any help would be apprciated.

Dennis

2. locdoc

locdoc Member

The 900 series (Platinum 2000) is a convertable machine. It takes a while longer to change guages on it than the 800+ because each individual tool must be removed and replaced with the tool of the other gauge and adjusted individually. On the 800+ the conversion tooling is already installed in the Tool Head. The changeover only takes 5 to 10 minutes as compared to 30 to 45 min. or so for the 900's. Much more "fine tuning" involved with the 900 B4 you get into production.

My reccommendation is to go with the 800+ if you are planning on loading multiple gauges regularly. My observation is that the 800+ is still out selling the 900 (read Platinum 2000).

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

3. GeezerGlide

GeezerGlide TS Member

There has been a 900 12gauge with 20 gauge dies on ebay awhile. I think he is having trouble moving it, quoted me 625 shipped. 800+ seems to be the PW of choice.

Jim Poor / GeezerGlide

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

You can speed up the gauge changes on the P/W 900 if you keep some good notes. For example, on the final crimp you can record the length of the threaded stud that is above the lock nut by measuring it with a caliper. You can also record the position of the screwdriver slot (i.e. 3:00-9:00 or 6:00-12:00). This way you can change tooling and it will be ready to go. The position of the wad ram can also be recorded. You can record these settings for each shell you load.

Jim Skeel

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

The new Platinum's use a Grivory (plastic) rotating turret, whereas the older 900's were outfitted with aluminum turrets. The Platinum and 800 Plus both have removable dies too, whereas the 900 does not, unless the after-market Removable Die Access turrent upgrade was installed. If this be the case, then it too would have a Grivory turret.

I sell 99% 800 Plus machines, and have to assume many shooters prefer the aluminum turret. The Grivory has a life-time warranty, but the problem is that installing a new turret is totally up to the machine's owner, and not sure many of the owners like this idea.

A new Platinum (current version of the 900) is $749.95 and the 800 Plus is $799.95. They both come with the EZ-Fill Hopper system, versus the tubes on the older machines. And, for $50 more you can specify an aluminum reservoir base. Consequently, for another $200-$275, you'd have a new machine of current design.

IMHO.

Whiz White<BR>
    P/W Distributor

6. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

7. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

I have an 800+ and 4 900s I like them both. To me the 900s feel smoother, but I like the removable dies on the 800+. They are great when you need them.

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

WS: I sent a guy your way who was interested in haveing a set of 28 gauge Perazzi barrels lightened up.

I wan't sure if you had that done, but told him to contact you.

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.