1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

QUESTION ABOUT P-TRIGGER...Please help !!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pheasantsgalore, Jul 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

I have been shooting a double release in my MX-8, that I bought from a shooter here on ts.com, last fall. It fires the top barrel first. I have noticed for some time now, that when I drop the trigger goup out of gun, to relax the hammers and put back in gun, that the firing pin is sticking out of bottom firing pin hole, as much as 1/16th". I only shoot the top barrel for singles, as I notice when I close gun, and drop a shell in top barrel, you see the firing pin protruding from breach face of gun. I have not touched any springs/firing pins in the trigger group. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? It is a trigger group from older MX3, but works fine otherwise. Thanks,....Rob

2. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Rob,

From what I understand, the problem is not with your trigger, but most likely a broken firing pin return spring or "crud" in the firing pin hole keeping the firing pin from fully retracting.

Tap the cross pin in the receiver (from the left side) until the bottom firing pin pops out. Do not completely remove the cross pin. After the firing pin pops out, you should be able to remove the firing pin return spring and clean the area.

Please post what you have if you need more help.

Don

3. dward

dward Member

The older style perazzi triggers do not have the bottom barrel hammer machined all the way across it's face. The newer triggers do. If you are shooting a newer (type 4) mx8 the hammer may need to be opened up across it's entire face. If the firing pin works fine with a different trigger and looks fine without a trigger in the gun, the hammer on the trigger in question is too far forward.

4. pheasantsgalore

Don, I will do what you said, and let you know what I see. I am sure the firing pin hole is "clear", but one cannot ever assume anything. Will check this out and firing pin return spring too. Much appreciated..........Rob

5. pheasantsgalore

Dward.....I just removed and checked the face of the hammer(s) of the older trigger group, compared to the two new triggers, and there is very obvious difference in the face of the bottom hammers. I put the new(type 4) trigger back into gun, and firing pins remain below face of receiver face. As soon as I popped in the older MX3 trigger group, the bottom firing pin sticks out too far. What is my next step? get the hammer machined, or just have it replaced? There is a lesson to be learned here when you purchase older trigger groups. I appreciate everyones' help here. Now I have to get this fixed by someone, somehow...................Thanks again,......Rob

6. dward

dward Member

A friend took a dremmel tool and did a nice job of opening the hammer all the way across the face of his older trigger that he now uses in a type 4. Otherwise a competent gunsmith should be able to do it fairly easily. As simple a fix as it is, I wouldn't buy a new hammer. And being that it is a release, it would require sear as well as release hook work.

I'm assuming you haven't used it to fire your bottom barrel as the older style hammers will often break the newer style firing pins.

7. pheasantsgalore

Dward.........thats correct. I have not fired bottom barrel since placing this trigger group in my gun, as I was worried about potential damage to either trigger group and/or bottom firing pin. thanks for your help with this...Rob

8. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Rob, don't fire the bottom barrel before you made the change.

1) Modify your bottom barrel hammer face. Or,

2) Change your bottom barrel firing pin to an older style with a cutout in the back.

The older style hammer WILL break your new style fining pin.

9. dward

dward Member

Rob - I also think it would be a good idea to check and make sure that the hammers aren't pushing back on the release hooks. I have a type 3 mx8 and I bought a spare release that worked fine but the hammers pushed back far enough that it broke one of the release hooks. If you take your stock off you can see the trigger and watch the hammers being cocked. When you open the action all the way there should still be a little play in the release hook. If there isn't, like my case, the cocking shoe can be shortened a bit to solve the problem.

I'm pretty sure the newer type 4 triggers and guns are so uniform, with new cnc machining, that there is not as much concern with interchanging barrels and triggers. But as the older type 3s were all hand fitted there can be problems interchanging parts. Once fitted your trigger will be fine, but you are correct in your statement about confirming the compatability of any older style perazzi parts.

Good Luck - Dan

10. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Rob,

Sorry I missed the possibility of the hammer differences. Glad others joined in and helped.

Don

11. pheasantsgalore

Don, I had my lap top running as I was starting to look at the trigger group, and then drop the stock from receiver, when the issue regarding the faces of the bottom hammer came up. It is very obvious when you have the original pull trigger from gun to compare it to. this is an interesting point though if and when someone is wanting to buy an older style trigger group to use in a new MX8. I would have NEVER thought of looking at this. This is why the shooters on this site are such an asset to this shooting sport. Its all about helping each other, and educating. Thanks to all!!!! Be safe..........Rob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.