1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about Moly Coated Bullets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BrowningPotato, Dec 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

Alright guys I have a couple questions about Moly Coated bullets. I bought about 2000 factory new Black Hills 168gr Moly-Coated bullets from a local guy who gave me a GREAT deal on them. Only problem is I am worried about damaging my stainless steel barrels because I have heard that the moly coating can attract moisture and corrode barrels.

It is hard for me to believe that Black Hills would produce, let alone sell for $30 bucks a box, bullets that are corrosive but I suppose it is possible. I know a couple other high end manufacturers (e.i. ballistic silvertips, Hornady A-Max) use moly-coated bullets, it seems as though there has to be a reason for this.

Does anyone have much experience with moly coat? Am I alright running these through high end barrels such as Lothar Walthar and Krieger?

2. krieghoff80

krieghoff80 Member

I've shot them...in PAC -Nor bar... No problems.....didn't find any thing that was better about them...
    Wasn't worth the extra cost.....sirocco 180gr. Is the best! ....one hole , 3 shots at 100yds.
    (max load).....Eric

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

I shot them for a while many years ago when they were first introduced and really did not see any benefit in using them over quality match bullets. You will still foul a barrel and it must be cleaned for it to remain accurate and the early moly-coated bullets were an absolute pain in the butt to clean up after AND they DID NOT prevent copper fouling at best they cut down on it. When I still hunted I avoided the moly-coats for this very reason. I always felt they were a half baked solution to a problem that did not exist.

--- Chip King ---

4. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

I agree that there are probably not a whole lot of benefits of Moly over regular copper jacketed bullets. My concern is whether they will corrode a barrel, given that I have so many I really do not want to have to try to sell 2000 rounds if they will not hurt the gun.

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've tried them in two rifles and in both cases, the coated bullets were not as accurate as the identical bullet without the coating and the velocity was slightly lower. Hard to understand but...

Ed

6. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

They should not damage your barrel in any way. It is usually not a great idea to mix moly bullets with regular bullets. If and when you go back to regular jacketed bullets clean the bore VERY well before changing. NRA did a study on moly coated bullets years ago and concluded they were no better or worse than regular jacketed bullets. BTW you may find that you need a slightly increased powder charge to get the same velocity with moly. Try to find load data exclusively for the moly bullets. I still have one 223 that I haven't weaned away from moly.

jim brown

7. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

What damage is caused by shooting regular bullets after shooting Moly? I have heard about thorough cleaning before switching back to regular bullets but I do not understand why that would be.

ALso I will not be reloading Moly bullets, just shooting the factory Moly rounds I already have (assuming they will not in fact cause corrosion to my barrels)

8. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Ed, the reason for the slight drop in velocity is the moly bullet has less resistance in the barrel and the pressure drops from what a copper jacketed would develop.

9. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

I never saw any real difference with moly coated bullets, I have not shot any in years, no need to.

Oscar

10. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

I'm with Ed on the accuracy. I know they say you sometimes have to break a bbl. in with them, but didn't want to bother with it.

Steve

11. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Do a Google search and you will find instructions on "seasoning" a barrel and the requirement and method to clean.

High volume shooters (prarie dog shooting) the moly-coated bullets realling increase the time between cleaning. You do need to redo your reloads (more powder) and resight your gun in as it will typically shoot a bit lower due to less barrel time.

One thing to remember -- barrel must be really clean and free of copper etc before you start the moly coat or you do run the risk of corrosion.

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

How do you corrode a stailess steel barrel using moly coated bullets? I never saw a corroded stainless steel barrel. Have you? HMB

13. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Since SS barrels use 400 series stainless, it has enough carbon to cause corrosion. If you were to use a purer grade of stainless (less carbon), it would be far to soft for use as a barrel.

ss

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

ss, how many corroded stainless steel barrels have you seen? HMB

15. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Whats up with Teflon coated bullets? Are they illegal? Dave T.

16. TOOLMAKER 251

The word stainless is misleading and should be considered stain resistant, and saying purer means nothing for this type of steel alloy. Any steel that has a 11% chrome content can technically be called stainless steel, and there are several high carbon tool steels that have the 11% chrome content. All the 300 series of stainless are much more resistant to corrosion then the 400 series which barrels are made of, but the 300's lack the strength and hardenability of 400 class stainless. The bottom line is stainless barrels are only resistant to corrosion, not impervious to it.

17. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Wow- some good posts but others- well it is obvious this isnt a forum of rifle shooters or engineers.

To answer HMB- I have never seen a corroded stainless barrel- not that it isnt possible- it surely is

Lots of testing does show- as opposed some of the posts above a reduction in fouling with moly bullets in the bore

More accurate or not? Lots of testing seems to have indicated that there is no benefit to moly coating if accuracy is your only criteria

Regards from Iowa

Gene

18. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

For a neophyte, why can't he tumble these bullets using walnut shells and remove the moly! Tom Rhoads

19. TOOLMAKER 251

Gene, If your not familiar with stainless steels dig up an article in precision shooting magazine May 94. You will have a better understanding of the corrosion effects in 416 stainless steel barrels.

20. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

I have shot NRA High Power and followed the rifle accuracy game for about 40 years. While not an expert in the area – I do have a little experience and knowledge………I remember when moly-coating came around – like a lot of innovative things- some top shooters were doing it so everyone wanted to try it. Long and interesting story involving Palma teams etc etc….since this is not a rifle forum I will end that story there – if you are interested in precision rifle shooting I suggest you get a subscription to Precision Shooting magazine and review their back editions…..
    As for Moly Coating----- my experience and experience of other shooters: #1 – no measurable real (statistical) difference in accuracy over non-coated. #2 – does require a little more powder to give the same velocity as non-coated bullets. #3- no real (statistical) difference in barrel life. And #4 –moly-coating does seem to reduce jacket fouling in the bore……….so there you go. It is like cryogenic treatments of barrels, sorting M14 magazines for accuracy…..yadda yadda – if the shooter thinks it will help it probably does help him – regardless of what the data says……
    Sorta like the 7.5’s or 8’s discussion…

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

is there a difference black hills moley and copper powder charge

moly coated bullet in stainless

powder charges using moly coated bullits

shooting moly bullets then shooting copper